What's new
What's new

New install of a Frnic vfd.

mojoinco

Plastic
Hello Folks, installing a VFD for the first time and want a sanity check, as well as a question on a command/setting detail.

I need 3 phase for a 20' planer. It uses an ABB motor: M2QA112M4A: 4 pole inductive motor, 230V, 14.41 FLA, 4KW (5.4 hp).

I devined (largely through threads on this forum) that a Frenic-Mini FRN0033C2S-2 should work well.

Initially I will use the stop/run switches on the control panel. Eventually add in fwd/rev/stop on a remote type cable (similar to an overhead crane type control).

Feeding it with 240v @30A.

What I [think] I want it to do is soft start my planer and then let it coast down when shut off. Nothing special, no brakes, no speed control, etc.

Of course it turned out the manual (CD) and installation guide were for a smaller model. Found several versions of the manuals online, used this one: https://americas.fujielectric.com/files/24A7-E-0023d.pdf?r=false

Basic settings that seemed important (not command or work related):
Motor type: (default) F10=1
230v (delta) (default) F06=230
60hz (default) F03=60
Restart after power off (default=trip) F14=0
Horse power (default= P99; HP vs KW) 5.4 & H03=1 & P02=5.4

Functional settings (had to call them something).
Front panel run/stop (default) F02=2
Soft start (default of 6 seconds) F07=6
Cost to stop (default, F08 & E11=6 seconds)F08 & E11 = 0, H11=1
--Need to confirm that H11 setting change negates (or not) F08 & E11 settings

Torque boost (default: F37= constant torque load & F09=100% of starting torque)
--Seem correct?

Also, read a reference (somewhere) that called for turning off 'missing phase' alarm setting.
--I couldn't find that in the command list, and have powered the unit up (no load) with no apparent problem.

Thanks for taking a look at this and responding. I have yet to program these settings in, as I didn't want to hurt anything.

Information on the program changes and specs for running the 3 phase VFD off of single phase are here:
FRN0033C2S-2U | Fuji Electric | AC Drives
https://www.wolfautomation.com/medi...n/fuji-frenicmini-c2-feca-an-175-appnotes.pdf
Function Code Settings
The Mini C2 has built in protection from input phase loss. To use single phase input and to shut off this protection. Set function code H98 Bit 1 Off.
Due to extra ripple on the DC bus, the performance of Mini C2 may not be as accurate as with 3 phase. Therefore, set function code F2 – 0 for “V/F control with slip compensation inactive”.

I would add a DC buss reactor/choke (DCR), this will decrease the THD and also decrease the input peak draw. Rated input 3 phase current for the MCCB is 40A with the choke, 75A w/o. The problem I see is that the breaker for single phase is sized to the VFD and phase and not the motor connected to it. Rough calculation would be 60A single phase breaker with a DC choke.

I do not have time to go through the programming parameters, but should be fairly clear.

"Rough calculation would be 60A single phase breaker with a DC choke. "

I'm not familiar with the current requirements of the DC choke. I looked up the current requirements for 4kw @240v as 27A, and 4kw @220v as 30A. It looks a little on the light side (just enough -- and not accounting for any conversion losses). Another chart/formula (jcalc.net) shows single phase 4kw@230v as 21.3A (I think this was to calculate an FLA).

60A seems like a lot going from 30A.

I'd like to appreciate why it would be that high?

Thanks!

Single phase input control

Thanks for finding the link for turning off the 'missing phase' alarm. I knew I had seen a reference somewhere -- turns out I had printed that application note out and forgotten that had the info I needed.

Therefore, set function code F2 –0 for “V/F control with slip compensation inactive”.

--I think they meant "F42". From the manual/link above. F02 refers to using the panel run/stop buttons.

F42 Control Mode Selection 1
0: V/f control with slip compensation inactive 5-41
1: Dynamic torque vector control
2: V/f control with slip compensation active
11: V/f control for PMSM drive *1

Default = 0.

H98= 17 (changing only the bit that pertains to turning off input phase detection, bit 1=1). Default appears to be 19.

Conversion from three phase power amperage to single phase, is to multiply three phase amps by ~1.5-1.7. There are specific calculations, it may run on something less but 30A is way too light for this size VFD and motor. I deal/install more with Yaskawa drives (also Hitachi), they have a 5Hp 3.7kW single phase input VFD (19A output), they specify an 80A MCCB or a 60A Class J, T or CC time delay fuse. As mentioned, adding a DCR, will decrease the requirements as far as the current draw, but there are specific VFD breaker sizing requirements as to the electrical code. I would check with the vendor you purchased it from. Also do not forget that the VFD can output ~180% of rated current for up to a minute, the sizing is not based on the motor but the input of the VFD.

The recommended DC choke is the DCR2-7.5, rated current is 34A and 0.8 mH. You might look at the MTE DCA004003 (40A 1.0 mH), the next smaller model is 32A, price difference is nominal.
DCA004003 | MTE |

Fuji Electric DCR.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I did reach out to the supplier with a redacted version of my opening post.

I wasn't impressed with the reply. In so many words, "Yeah, they take a while to get the bugs worked out". I will likely call them tomorrow and have a direct chat to confirm a few of the commands (mostly: some of these commands look to me like 'command B overrides whatever command A is set to' -- I just want to know).

I will also read up on the DCR and order one. And a VFD seemed like such a simple way to get good clean 3 phase (I know, it really isn't that complex, but has certain requirements, and is just something new to me).

As well, rewire my input wire. I didn't think to put a contactor in, so will be killing two birds with one stone.

Do not see a reason to use a contactor unless you want it to turn on/off the system. usually used as more of an interlock for an external switch and/or a thermal switch. I do not routinely use them, use a power disconnect and if not on a dedicated breaker then fusing in the VFD cabinet. You can probably do OK with a 50A breaker, I do not think you can go to a 40A. I routinely use the DC chokes with 3 phase VFDs derated for single phase.

I ordered the DCR. Hopefully have it installed at the end of the week.

'Contactor' wasn't what I meant -- a disconnect is. I think I have some I got that are fusable (literally brand new for a $1 Square D on a close out). I will look to see if I can bypass the fuse blocks. When I installed this I presumed "off" meant everything, not just the output of the VFD. The need for 3 phase will be sporadic, so no need to leave the VFD running.

Since I will be upgrading the power-in wiring, at least I will be in that path anyhow.

Now to drum my fingers waiting for the part. Any considerations for wiring this? Gauge, etc?

Thanks!

Back