What's new
What's new

Old Static Converter Help Needed

Dynajb

Plastic
Greetings:

I've recently been given this old static converter from my dad that he got from his friend with a 3 phase mill he purchased. Unfortunately, this friend passed away and my dad never used it. So, I'm trying to firgure out how to wire it in and use it with my 3 phase lathe. Has anyone seen one like this before that could give me some assistance? There's a wire coming in the bottom left that are 10-3 and the same for the bottom right. The top right as an extension cord coming out of the top that is wired in there too. The front cover has an on/off switch that white wirs are going to. So my question becomes...Is the left my 220 single phase in and the right 3 phase out? Or am I completely lost?

Thanks for all the help and guidance!

JB

Attachments

• Static.jpg
    Static.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 110
This isn't the advice you requested so take it with a grain of salt..but those static converters are 'really' inexpensive, so my advice would be to just purchase a new model to fit your lathe. The one pictured may have sentimental value but it looks very sketchy otherwise.

Stuart

That one is WAY sketchy.... Some "free" things are more expensive than new ones.

I'd buy new. I advise this mostly because if you were qualified to check out and fix that one, you probably would not have asked about it here.

As for seeing one like it..... I have not seen one like it and I doubt any here have, in the sense of seeing another with the same circuit etc. It looks shop made, and may be the only one anywhere like it.

I HAVE however, seen numerous pieces of equipment that looked like that in terms of being a bit of a mess, with dirt and cobwebs etc. I was careful not to power them before deciding they were needed, cleaning them up, and checking operation, insulation, etc.

You don't need that one, because you can get another, that works, is inexpensive, comes with full instructions, warranty, and does not have possible hidden hazards.

Here is a well-known vendor:

Static Phase Converter Information Page - Phase-A-Matic, Inc.

The wiring guess you made looks correct. The terminals for each connection should be cleaned and then trace each wire
and draw a picture. That being said, I don't have any more encouragement for you to use it.

Back