What's new
What's new

Open delta 3 phase transformer converted to single phase input??

jzr75601

Plastic
Hello All

I have a welder that uses a open delta transformer .Is it possible to run or convert to a single phase line input?
Thanks in advance

You can probably connect the two open legs to one line and the connected terminal to the other line input. The magnetics can get weird or could be entirely not weird depending on the configuration and design of the welder.

I'd personally test it out like that and be aware the it will not weld at full capacity, and monitor the temperature of various major components to be safe.

Ensure that the cooling fan is not three phase.

Problem... not going to weld well... there will be a drop in OCV and a large drop in output amperage. Split the y and feed it single phase and see what works...Phil

Problem... not going to weld well... there will be a drop in OCV and a large drop in output amperage. Split the y and feed it single phase and see what works...Phil

Are there two completely separate transformers of something with two windings on a single core? You could do the latter, but I don't see why. You would need as much copper and iron as a three phase transformer. In any case, the output waveform would not be good.

Bill

J, most 'open delta' welding transformers are nothing more than two single-phase welding transformers wired together... with one leg of each going to one phase, and the remaining leg of each going to separates. While they're running at a 120 degree (rather than 180) interval, the output result is not substantially different enough to negate performance.

When you drive across the two, you'll be effectively driving a high-voltage winding.

If you attempt to wire them in parallel, you MAY find that it's particular about phasing, ie. it will work fine with one of the transformer primaries flipped, but not 'normal', etc... and this is simply because the transformers' secondaries are probably tied together at the rectifier stack, rather than driving diodes independantly.

I've had plenty of Airco enthusiasts message success stories to me of theirs, so would NOT be surprised if yours does too.

Back