What's new
What's new

Use 20hp RPC OR convert to single phase?

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
Newly acquired Miller CP300 MIG setup

After reading a bit, I'm still unclear as to whether I would be better off using the Haas Kamp 1ph conversion, OR if I should run this welder on my 20hp RPC. I know guys have successfully used both methods, but I'm just not sure which method would (possibly?) produce the better arc? Or if there would be any loss of machine power/efficiency with one method vs the other?
Any advise would be much appreciated here guys.

Paul, I replied to your question in the other thread on the 208/230/460V Miller CP-300 thread. I have never tried it with the RPC, but it probably depends on whether or not you already have a big enough RPC. To do the H-K just based on eBay purchases, it will cost you ~$60 max for the 65uF motor run capacitors, sound $15-$20 for the 10AWG Machine Tool Wire (MTW), about $10 for the resistors, and factor in whatever you want to use for connectors - I disconnected the wires from the back side of my red panel because I had long enough extensions and a new enough welder that was still in good shape inside. I also ran individual 10 AWG leads for each capacitor so I could use the yellow female spade connectors on the capacitors and some 6 AWG crimp connectors on the terminal. RPCs are pretty expensive. Hope this helps.
Jon

jjohn, just typed a reply only to have it disappear.
Anyhow, I replied back in other thread.
I appreciate thr 65mfd recommendation. I was unclear on that. I already have bleed resistors and a 50 and maybe a 60mfd capacitor. I believe 370vac or 440. I also have the 20hp RPC built but not yet balanced. This was my first real (solo) endeavor into such a project and I'm still trying to learn how to balance the legs. I believe you somehow wire the caps on each leg but unsure of actual hookup.
When I get it figured out I'll probably try these Miller CP's on both the RPC and also via the HK method. I'll likely have a few questions.

Back