What's new
What's new

OT 24 volt battery charger testing

M. Moore

Titanium
I acquired a 24 volt forklift battery charger, or it looks like a forklift charger but it is quite small.
It has an Anderson receptacle built into the main housing which was a bit of a clue.
I would like to use it to charge the batteries on my excavator so decided to get it all set up. It runs on 120 volt power.
I plugged it in and the five indicator lights flashed three times and then once each in reverse order, then the power light did not come on.
I checked to see if there was output at the receptacle and got no dc voltage. It has an electronic circuit board and my electrical skills are a bit lacking so I am not even sure how to test things to find out if and where the problem may lie.

Is it possible it needs to be connected to a battery for it to work?
I opened up the box and took a couple of photo's and can post those if required.

Thanks
Michael

Please post photos. If there is a transformer in there your first step should be to see if it has (ac) output voltage at the transformer. The most basic form of charger would be a transformer and rectifier but it sounds as if your unit is more sophisticated with electronic control to taper the charge.

If by chance there is no transformer and it is an inverter type unit I would be VERY careful about hooking it to a battery. Output voltage could be high enough to damage a valuable battery.

EDIT: Have you done a google search to find a description of this model? Then you would at least know how it should operate and what the status lights mean.

Thank for the replies.
It does have a transformer and so I will test it by hooking it to the batteries.
There is no name anywhere on the unit so I have not been able to google it for any extra info.
Here are the photos.

Attachments

• A7466E3D-FEC8-435E-B612-ED28A1E1059B.jpg
    A7466E3D-FEC8-435E-B612-ED28A1E1059B.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 77E1EFB7-32FF-4D0A-AA46-993DE79BB8B7.jpg
    77E1EFB7-32FF-4D0A-AA46-993DE79BB8B7.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 58
Got the cable done and tested it on my machine.
All lights cycled and then the power light came on! It was charging just fine at 28 volts.
It needs to see a voltage before it will send power through the transformer.
I suspected that might be the case but it was good to have it confirmed here.

Thanks again,

Michael

Back