What's new
What's new

OT: Gurus on NiCad battery reconditioning ?

rons

Diamond
This article looks like a circuit to charge a bank of capacitors to line voltage (DC).
The the text says to unplug the circuit from the AC and connect the battery to the leads and press the button.
The circuit has been around a while (Radio Shack part numbers).

The Nicad Battery Reconditioning Machine - Do-It-Yourself - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

I have this battery that has been stored. No measurable current when charge voltage is 13.7Vdc.
Can it be altered by methods like the reconditioner?

Blocked

The shockers are for cells that have shorts. (ones with long pants are OK). That is specific to NiCd batteries.

The idea is that the high current will blow open the short. It does, but I believe the cell is still not right, the procedure does damage, and the cell usually has many other locations just about to grow into shorted spots as well.

A lead battery that draws nothing on charge has a different problem. May be dry, may be open, may be totally sulfated.

There are pulse chargers that are claimed to rejuvenate lead batteries, but sealed cell AGM units are probably dead if they do not draw on charge.

The battery was new but just not used for some years. Probably 10 - 15. It's ChiComm naturally and not expected to last long.

If left to sit, yes, sulfated and NDG now. It's not NiCd, but lead-acid, AGM/sealed, so unlikely to recover.

Yesterday I was reading...

Leaving a suspected dead battery on charge for 7 - 10 days may revive it.

(yeah, not nicad. I was thinking nicad because the ChiComm battery is at the Nicad charge station.)

Yesterday I was reading...

Leaving a suspected dead battery on charge for 7 - 10 days may revive it.

(yeah, not nicad. I was thinking nicad because the ChiComm battery is at the Nicad charge station.)

Ain't NEVER seen that do the trick. Lot of merit in that "may". You have nothing to lose but time.........

Use a small drill bit and inject a few ml of water into the battery. Then tape over the hole, or solder over the hole

Nicd are wet cells but the idea is you can seal them.. In theory. In reality the hydrogen and oxygen produced during overcharge leaks out.

Back