What's new
What's new

OT- Light dimmer to vari fan speed?

Two suggestions: 1) take apart the fan and look at how the speed is controlled: if the switch has resistors for different speeds, you could add resistance to the lowest speed and that should slow it down. 2) look at woodworking router speed controllers.

No they can't. They work differently. Forgot exactly why it is, essentially they work opposite to each other. I looked into it ages ago but can't remember the exact explanation

If the table fan has a typical squirrel cage motor, a "light dimmer" will work. The only difference between a cheap light dimmer and cheap fan speed controller (like for a fireplace, NOT the slow speed overhead paddle fan type) is that the fan controller has an internal limit (often adjustable) to stop you going too slow (where the motor will stall).

Spend $10 and try it.

Regular light dimmers are Triacs, that chop the 120V waveform (SCRs), and that is what dims the light. A light is a resistive load, so this works. This is why regular dimmers don't work on flourescents.

A fan speed controller is an resistor-capacitor (RC) circuit that attenuates the waveform to lower the RMS output voltage. A motor is an inductive load.

So if you use a light dimmer, you'll eventually burn up the motor and/or get poor performance. Your insurance company might not like it either.

Someone speak up if this is incorrect.

article-2011july-retrofit-led-bulbs-fig1.jpg

VERSUS:

diffeq_rc_circuit_plot2.png

Regular light dimmers are Triacs, that chop the 120V waveform (SCRs), and that is what dims the light. A light is a resistive load, so this works. This is why regular dimmers don't work on flourescents.

A fan speed controller is an resistor-capacitor (RC) circuit that attenuates the waveform to lower the RMS output voltage. A motor is an inductive load.

So if you use a light dimmer, you'll eventually burn up the motor and/or get poor performance. Your insurance company might not like it either.

Someone speak up if this is incorrect.

article-2011july-retrofit-led-bulbs-fig1.jpg

VERSUS:

diffeq_rc_circuit_plot2.png

Not bad. Three up, three down. Triac type dimmers don't work on standard florescents because the control (ballast) is a constant current controller. I have never seen a R-C network used for a motor speed controller. You might use a capacitor to reduce the motor speed, but it would not be variable without being a step switch with a bank f capacitors. Lastly, you are right in that simply adding a speed control to a motor without consideration of the type of motor may lead to a burned up motor. Specifically, a single phase motor using a start switch will maintain the start windings on if voltage is set too low.

Tom

Two types of cheap fan speed controllers -switched RCL networks typically used for the overhead over head paddle types, and the "light dimmer like" triac control" used for most other small fractional hp NON-capacitor start motors. Small fan motors do not have start winding.

The TRIAC types will work fine work fine for the OP use - the motor speed is somewhat proportional to the average voltage which decreases the later the triac fires. There are milions of triac fan speed controllers in use... and they are UL listed for that purpose.

Like this : http://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronic...7997771&sr=8-11&keywords=fan+speed+controller and this http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Control...7998245&sr=8-29&keywords=fan+speed+controller

You can get this type for as little a $8.

Thank you!

Two types of cheap fan speed controllers -switched RCL networks typically used for the overhead over head paddle types, and the "light dimmer like" triac control" used for most other small fractional hp NON-capacitor start motors. Small fan motors do not have start winding.

The TRIAC types will work fine work fine for the OP use - the motor speed is somewhat proportional to the average voltage which decreases the later the triac fires. There are milions of triac fan speed controllers in use... and they are UL listed for that purpose.

Like this : http://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronic...7997771&sr=8-11&keywords=fan+speed+controller and this http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Control...7998245&sr=8-29&keywords=fan+speed+controller

You can get this type for as little a $8.

Most small table fans are shaded pole, dimmers work with them.

Larger fans MAY BE single unswitched capacitor ("PSC") motors, and dimmers will work with them

But any fan run by a "split phase" or cap start motor will NOT be good with a dimmer.

2) look at woodworking router speed controllers.

Woodworking variable speed controllers are nothing more than a variable transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2oyVvkvBiQ&list=UUckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw

OP - A light dimmer will be fine. Every ceiling fan I have ever seen that has a speed controller is nothing more then a light dimmer. I'm sure there is some argument as to the different motor types, etc. But it's a little fan, not lawnmower bearings crushed in a chuck :D

Most small fans I've seen are run with shaded pole induction motors, running 3250 RPM. They are dimmed with voltage control.

Woodworking variable speed controllers are nothing more than a variable transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2oyVvkvBiQ&list=UUckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw

OP - A light dimmer will be fine. Every ceiling fan I have ever seen that has a speed controller is nothing more then a light dimmer. I'm sure there is some argument as to the different motor types, etc. But it's a little fan, not lawnmower bearings crushed in a chuck :D

Most small fans I've seen are run with shaded pole induction motors, running 3250 RPM. They are dimmed with voltage control.

Respectfully but firmly differ on the assertion of "variable transformer"- if you've ever carried (they are hefty in size and weight) or priced a "variac" (true variable transformer) capable of any current capacity, you will understand that modern speed controls are different from variable transformers. Both do certain jobs well, but they are cut out for different jobs.

Respectfully but firmly differ on the assertion of "variable transformer"- if you've ever carried (they are hefty in size and weight) or priced a "variac" (true variable transformer) capable of any current capacity, you will understand that modern speed controls are different from variable transformers. Both do certain jobs well, but they are cut out for different jobs.

Thank you for the info.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a true variac, and a router speed control? Is a router speed control just a variable pot? I was under the assumption that a router speed control was just a small variable transformer.

Thank you for the info.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a true variac, and a router speed control? Is a router speed control just a variable pot? I was under the assumption that a router speed control was just a small variable transformer.

Router control generally is basically a light dimmer, with a few mods to make operation with inductive loads more reliable. Small, usually pretty light.

A variac is a toroidal transformer with a sliding contact to vary the voltage. Big and heavy, in proportion to power level.

My dad used a dimmer switch to slow down a fan motor that drew warm air from a greenhouse that was attached to his house. It was on there for probably 20 years and worked fine.

I have heard that using a dimmer switch also reduces the torque of the motor but with a fan that doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Big B

Back