OT- What makes for a electric motor which can run out in the weather? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Wow! I didn't think the motors were run when submerged! An option I have seen is to supply each motor with a cylinder of dry nitrogen with just enough pressure to keep water out.

Tom
    I would have never tried it either except the water got so high it was in the electrical box and tripped the contactor that started the pivot pump. After that by necessity I ran it many times under water. It was funny seeing the turbulence of the water flowing through the open frame motors. When they were only half submerged there would be a spray coming out of the motor.
    It was abusive to the motors to let them sit under water or run them, but the water salvaged by pumping it into the reservoir was worth many times the value of the motors. I had asked about putting a small air compressor on top of the electrical box and pressurizing an enclosed motor trough the conduit and was told the pressure would go through the bearing seals and blow the grease out. Still think it may have worked with a regulator.
    The vertical shaft motor took an involved rerouting of the plumbing but has worked well since screening the new larger pump for critters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Wow! I didn't think the motors were run when submerged! An option I have seen is to supply each motor with a cylinder of dry nitrogen with just enough pressure to keep water out.

Tom

Probably not a great idea to wade over to them to check temps or whatever...... with 480 on a submerged motor.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Probably not a great idea to wade over to them to check temps or whatever...... with 480 on a submerged motor.....
    I definitely did not swim in the water when pumping out that low region. The first time when the pump came on unintentionally we had to walk around the irrigation reservoir to get to the power pole cutoff. Wore rubber boots. The tadpoles and frog survived as we had no electrical failures while doing the on purpose pumping. Motor temp was always cool when underwater, no worries there!

Just thought of the pivot tower motors. Those run in a constant rain storm. The inside motors maybe an 1/8 of inch per hour and the outside towers many inches per hour. Many last for ten years or more. On the pivot tower motors(3/4 horse 480 3 phase) the main mode of failure is windings. Jumping spiders enter the housing through the weep hole in the bottom of the stator and their webs are the source of failure on the windings. It happens a lot more often if nitrogen fertilizer is applied with the irrigation. Never had a bearing failure in 15 plus years of use. Cheap sealed bearings are used. Motor replacement is accomplished by just changing out the stator.