What's new
What's new

Out of my depth, need help determining wiring on 3ph gearhead drill press

amashinga

Plastic
Hi,

I picked up a small gearhead drill press recently. While labeled TMA, it is tagged as having been manufactured by Bergman Borr in Sweden. The motor has six wires. Three appear to be cream or white, one red, one blue and one black. The wires are labelled S1, S2, S3, B1, B2, B3.

These wires run to a drum switch which only has two positions marked with a 1 or 0. Since I never saw the machine wired in, I have no idea if this is a reversing switch (why on a drill press), or a on off switch (most likely).

The only tag on the machine indicates it can run at 220 or 440 on a 60hz frequency. It gives no indication as to the wiring required, delta or wye. The lead coming into the switch box is 4 wire, black, white green and red.

I need to make sure this is wired for 220v to work on my VFD.

In trying to research answers myself I have seen reference to a resistance chart. If it would help for me to measure resistance across the six wires, let me know and I will do that.

I have included as many pics as I can, any pointers would be hugely helpful, thanks.

TAG

tag.jpg

Wires in switch box

wires.jpg

Drum switch, inside and front

drum switch.jpg

front switch.jpg

With 6 wires, and having two voltages, examining the data plate shows it is wye-delta for the two voltages, which are in a 1.73:1 ratio as a result. This is the 220V (delta) vs 380V (wye).

The 1 and 0 has been pretty common for "on" and "off" for some time in the EU.

If it is currently wired wye, which would be high voltage, there will be 3 wires connected in common and to nothing else, and 3 individual wires going to the switch.

If connected for the low voltage, in delta, it will have 3 pairs of wires going to the switch.

Very helpful thank you. It is wired in delta, the diagram is below. Excuse my poor diagramming skills. From what is diagrammed, is it possible to identify the different legs ?

wiring diagram.jpg

Very helpful thank you. It is wired in delta, the diagram is below. Excuse my poor diagramming skills. From what is diagrammed, is it possible to identify the different legs ?........

Not sure what the question wants as an answer. The three do not have definite names and connections. The only issue is whether the motor turns the right way or not. If not, then reverse two of them.

Yes, in a perfect world, you would know the A,B, and C phases, and would know how to connect the motor for correct rotation the first time. But, you have a certain lack of info........

Are you asking how to connect to the switch?

I have no idea, since we cannot see the switch. I'd use a multimeter, a pencil, and a piece of paper to suss out the switch and determine what the connections are, since it seems to be a simple on/off switch.

Pick a connection point on the switch. See what it is connected to with the switch in the "1" position, then set to the "0" and check again. Repeat for all connections. Write down what you come up with, and voila, you will know the wiring.

Yeah I was trying to determine A, B and C phases, but I hear what you are saying. I think I can handle this now, thank you for your help JST, it is very much appreciated.

Back