What's new
What's new

Pad Mount Transformers

Ox

Diamond
Any words of wisdom associated with these?

Don't buy certain age, or design, or name brand?

Also - how much static loss / KVA ?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Any words of wisdom associated with these?

Don't buy certain age, or design, or name brand?

Also - how much static loss / KVA ?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A(ny) major brand.
US or Canadian made.
AVOID Euro-trash. It's over-stressed by our longer-lived metrics.

Units known to be favored by dominant - and responsible - electric utility co's conservatively managed.
Still being bought new, present-day installations.

And ALL the data is published.
With very little room to lie.

Because the Powerco hasn't got a lot of time or money or PATIENCE to waste on saving a dime up-front only to spend thousands on premium labour costs for outage repairs they can avoid for 20 to 40 years.

Piggyback off THEIR experience.

You want premium goods? To near-as-dammit "bulletproof" level?

Go and find out whom the Data Center operators who support the movement of trillions of dollars worth of "NO downtime!, please!" transactions every day are utilizing.

Be on an IV drip when you have to ask the price.

Ordinary NEMA/CS listed North-American market commercial facility transformers should be just fine. It is hard to go wrong, actually.

Not as if they only ever made the one such transformer, last 100-plus years, is it?

:D

When clearing brush, don't run your "Thrash-A--Matic®" into it.....:D
Damn things are cam-O-Flagued.....:skep:

Seriously, what:
1. KVA
2. Input Voltage
3. Output voltage & config

Yes.
That is my first stop when it comes to that shhhhtuff.

I wasn't asking where to find them.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Avoid Siemens stuff. Lots of QC issues. Great CAD, shitty hardware.

Lopsided, half-assed cores, stray brazing obstructing lugs, poorly zeroed castings, pre-loaded panels that are completely upside-down, labels that are cut in half and chewed up under the heads of screws, etc. Just completely half-assed shit.

IMG_20190828_073315275.jpgIMG_20191114_160125103.jpgIMG_20190828_071018935.jpgIMG_20190827_075106652 E.jpg

A friend had a pair runnung the 200 amp 220v service to his house in Ca, it was costing him $125. per month to avoid the 10K for poles and wires, he put them in 25 years ago. about 19 cents a kw if I recal

Avoid Siemens stuff. Lots of QC issues. Great CAD, shitty hardware.

Lopsided, half-assed cores, stray brazing obstructing lugs, poorly zeroed castings, pre-loaded panels that are completely upside-down, labels that are cut in half and chewed up under the heads of screws, etc. Just completely half-assed shit.

View attachment 324572View attachment 324571View attachment 324573View attachment 324574

Ugh....was it built by 2nd shift ?....during a power outage ?

Ugh....was it built by 2nd shift ?....during a power outage ?

I sure as hell wasn't going to be the one to stand next to it and switch it on. At least not without a flash suit, lol.

Second pic is from a different transformer completely. Big ~1500lb monster that was a b*** to set around the corner in a tiny closet. Our transformer lift wouldn't even touch it. The thing barely fit through the door. Can't even remember how the hell we got it up onto the ~4" pad with access only from the front. Got it all piped and pulled, paralleled 3 ways... then find out the neutral lug it's drilled for won't fit. That was fun.

I sure as hell wasn't going to be the one to stand next to it and switch it on. At least not without a flash suit, lol.

I'm sure it passed alllll the test's....even Hi-pot.

But by the time it got trucked up to you.....something might have gotten shorted.

Back