What's new
What's new

pair of transformers from a 5kVA uninterruptible power supply?

metalmagpie

Titanium
Scrounging, I came across a pair of transformers. They are bolted to a common mount plate, and are wired together in series. Each has a variety of taps.

I realize this is scant information, but what I'd like to know is are these regular AC transformers or some kind of pulse transformer? I know that UPS units take DC battery power and turn it into usable AC power, which certainly involves chopping and filtering to make AC.

What I really want to know is whether these can be reused or best to scrap their windings.

metalmagpie

There is a good chance they are basically regular transformers. But they may be a little weird in ratio, since they probably are set up to take the DC battery voltage and produce 120V rms 60 Hz square waves. That suggests they may be good for a wider frequency range, higher than 60 Hz to get reasonable square waves. It will include 60 Hz, and probably a decent bit lower.

Most any ancient "Royer oscillator" based unit that they might have been scrapped out of would be a two transformer type, with a small saturating transformer to do the base drive, and a regular one for the output. And unless very old, it would not have been that type, especially at 5kVA.

If those are of decent size, they would be the output units, possibly 2.5 kVA each, series for 240 out, parallel for 120 out.

Pictures never hurt, especially with a scale, and including any info that may be printed on them somewhere, and the connections.

Back