What's new
What's new

phase conversion for a 5hp bed mill

MeanMachine1980

Aluminum
Hello Everyone

I did some searching in this forum to try to find someone that has a similar situation as mine but didn't find anything that was that close.

Im buying a bed mill with a 5hp motor. The company recommends a rotary phase converter vs a VFD because they say that the mill will experience varying loads and a VFD will not work right? I am running a 13" lathe with heavy chucks with a vfd and it seems to work fine?? Maybe they recommended the rpc before tech advances with VFD's? I also found a Grizzly H3473 - Static Phase Converter. Anyone ever use one of these to run a 5hp three phase mill?

Anyways I wanted to see what some of you would recommend.

My situation: I have 220 single phase wired up in my shop in a few different locations. I want to power a 5hp mill and maybe a surface grinder<5hp. I would prefer something not too large and noisy.

Thanks in advance

I don't see any reason why a VFD will not power your 5HP motor but again I don't have any schematic. Actually a VFD is good for varying load. However if you want to add another 5HP mill and a Surface grinder a single VFD will not work for more than one motor. You might want to look into an RPC.

VFDs do not power machines, they power the motor directly. So if you desire is to provide 3 phase to a machine and expect it to be plug and play, you need an RPC or a PhasePerfect converter, something like the PT-330. Otherwise, probably a 10Hp RPC depending on the brand/type. If you want to adapt a VFD to be used in a machine, well it all depends on the type, if the controls can work off of single phase and if you need to control the motor and integrate the VFD functions into the machine.

Phase Technologies - A world leader in low harmonic and phase converting technologies
Pro-Line UL Industrial Control Panels | North America Phase Converter Co.

Back