What's new
What's new

Phase Converter Help

SnaggleTooth

Plastic
Hi guys. I have used this community help answer many questions and I thank you for that. I have a small product line and I need a small inexpensive VMC. I found an older Miyano TSV-33 which fits the bill. My location doesn't have 3 phase power, but I have a CNC rated phase converter. The machine has 8000RPM and a 5HP motor, but the tag says total HP 16. I'll insert the photo of the tag. Can this be accurate? My phase converter is 7.5KVA. It should be able to handle a 5HP motor, but why does is the CNC listed at 16HP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksMiyano.jpg

Thanks for the response. I contacted American Rotary. They said they would need some more info, so I am trying to get the info from Miyano.

I disagree with other answer: I say go for it with your 7.5hp RPC and do not waste money on new/bigger one until you try your present one and prove it is too small.

My reasoning is:

1) that machine nametag actually seems to show your "5HP" motor is really only 1.5HP and the 5hp shown is the absolute max peak it can ever put out according to them.
2) You said it is a CNC so I assume it has a spindle drive for variable speed? If so, that motor will never pull the imfamous 600% inrush current to start from a stop; only rated current x2 max.
3) There is no way any x,y,z servos will amount to anywhere near the added hp to justify 16hp nametag number
4) Only way to get to 16hp/12kw total rating would be if this machine has a 16-1.5=14.5hp/10.8kw electric heater on it for something too.

The nameplate rating is a sum of all motors maximum output simultaneously. This is a condition that will never occur. Most machines will see 25-50% of that value when run hard.

The Miyano/Mectron machines have long been orphans. Even before Miyano merged with Citizen, they were not supported.

For a new to CNC user, they would not be a good choice. For a seasoned CNC person with good electrical experience and knowledge, a Miyano/Mectron could be a bargain workhorse. This assumes that the machine comes with all its original documentation, particularly electrical schematics, ladder diagram, parameter list, parts manual, and builder operation and maintenance manuals.

The motor nonsense might actually make sense. CNC machines use some funky motors that may have wild specs. The motors are controlled by VFDs, and can be made for anything.

A motor that is rated for, say, 1200 rpm and 2.5 HP at some low frequency like 60 Hz, at 60VAC may, if properly designed, be capable of 16 HP at 8000 RPM when run at 400 Hz and a 6.66 x higher voltage. The higher power comes from the higher rpm/voltage, with constant torque. The frequency changes with the voltage, so that the V/Hz remains the same, as does the motor current. As long as the motor can take the voltage, it works fine.

So the rating could fairly easily make sense, sort-of. It's not how I would rate it, but......... Not saying that is true of the unit, since I have never dealt with one. But it could be.

What is probably the best idea to see what is sensible, is to look at the electrical box. If it is capable of 16 HP, then the fuses and contactors will be of a rating that will pass 16 HP at the input voltage (230V)

Back