What's new
What's new

Phase Converter - Pop when switching from start capacitors to Run capacitors

Bandeezie

Plastic
Hey,

I'm working on an old rotary phase converter that's had a bunch of issues. A contactor was stuck in the closed position which fried a bunch of start capacitors. The voltage sensing relay was also shot, but I found a new one, replaced it and now it seems to be doing it's job.

Next I tested the unit, I disconnected the transformer from this equation (the transformer produces my three phase power from the rotary set up), and let the unit start up without a 'load' on it. The result was a popping noise a second after the relay switched between the start the run capacitors. It sounded like a capacitor bank discharging. Can you run a phase converter without it connected to it's transformer? Do I have other issues?

I've replaced pretty much all the electrical components on this thing, and didn't play with the wiring.

Any ideas of where to go from here would be helpful. Capacitor's are somewhat pricey, So I'd appreciate any direction before I re-connect the transformer and "let 'er buck".

I've attached a picture, take a look.

take care,

Attachments

• Control Panel paint.jpg
    Control Panel paint.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 152
Hey,

I'm working on an old rotary phase converter that's had a bunch of issues. A contactor was stuck in the closed position which fried a bunch of start capacitors. The voltage sensing relay was also shot, but I found a new one, replaced it and now it seems to be doing it's job.

Next I tested the unit, I disconnected the transformer from this equation (the transformer produces my three phase power from the rotary set up), and let the unit start up without a 'load' on it. The result was a popping noise a second after the relay switched between the start the run capacitors. It sounded like a capacitor bank discharging. Can you run a phase converter without it connected to it's transformer? Do I have other issues?

I've replaced pretty much all the electrical components on this thing, and didn't play with the wiring.

Any ideas of where to go from here would be helpful. Capacitor's are somewhat pricey, So I'd appreciate any direction before I re-connect the transformer and "let 'er buck".

I've attached a picture, take a look.

take care,

You obviously need more parts. Unit looks to have been designed to house one of everything ever made, and is missing a few of 'em.

Might be wisest to strip it for parts, JF start over, and use only what it really needs - in far fewer packages and types of packages - new and of known provenance.

Be aware that NASA funds proved and published long ago that every joint or connector added drops MTBF, and at an exponential rate. Hard-wired simplicity is righteousness to be sought. Detachable connectors are an evil to be minimized.

If I opened the cover to troubleshoot that zoo, JOB ONE would be to close the cover. Life is too short, etc.

Back