What's new
What's new

Phase converter Vs Single phase motor swap

OMW

Plastic
I just bought a PBR lathe with a 5hp 220V 3 phase motor on It. I was leaning towards getting a rotary phase converter to convert my single into three. Im aware that 3phase power and motors are more efficient. But am I gaining anything by converting my single to 3phase or should I just swap a single phase 5hp motor into it?
thanks.

If more machine tools are in your future, you might want to get a phase convertor and get one at least one size bigger then you need now. Constantly changing out 3 phase motors for single phase is not likely to save you anything.

Also your new lathe may not have the right switching setup to reverse the spindle using a single phase motor. Reversing 3 phase motors is super easy. I believe reversing single phase motors is much less so. Not sure if the switching gear for one version is suitable for the other. Might want to investigate this before running out for a new motor.

But am I gaining anything by converting my single to 3phase or should I just swap a single phase 5hp motor into it?
thanks.

If the machine electrics are accepting three phase service then it's better to get a converter than gutting the machine to accept single phase.

I will not run a single phase lathe if it has a typical drum switch that will go on over from forward to reverse if you slap it in a panic. If it is running fast enough to be off the starting winding, it will continue to run in the same direction, rolling your hair or sleeve up tighter. That in itself is all the reason I need to stay with 3 phase, which will reverse in that instance, giving you a chance of unwinding or getting the switch off before it gets going very fast in reverse.

Bill

I just bought a PBR lathe with a 5hp 220V 3 phase motor on It. I was leaning towards getting a rotary phase converter to convert my single into three. Im aware that 3phase power and motors are more efficient. But am I gaining anything by converting my single to 3phase or should I just swap a single phase 5hp motor into it?
thanks.

Air-compressor yah could swap. Machine Tools. Not a good idea.

What 9100 Bill said.

Plus.. doing an RPC is easier than BOTH re-wiring the Machine Tool, ELECTRICALLY, AND having to deal with adapting a different motor, MECHANICALLY.

Yep. And if the machine has any tendency to chatter, a single phase drive may make that a LOT worse, depending on the drive method and speed used. Primarily an issue with lathes, even smaller mills do not seem to do that.

Back