What's new
What's new

which phase is less expensive to use

My shop power cost went down moving from my garage to the building with 3 phase. But, I run outside the times that are used to calculate demand charge. Around here ComEd uses 9AM-6PM M-F.
No matter the cost, get the real 3 phase. Its so nice.

For $1000.00 That is no decision at all. Get it. Be sure you ask about demand charges and Minimums. Go in with your eyes open.

I’m curious to know how you get real three phase for a grand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It will not be full 3 phase , it will be open delta. With the demand meter the single phase with a vfd or rfc will be cheaper in the long run for loads under 15 hp...Phil

It will not be full 3 phase , it will be open delta. With the demand meter the single phase with a vfd or rfc will be cheaper in the long run for loads under 15 hp...Phil

Around here Ameren charges the same per kilowatt hour for both. In generating the third phase consumes energy so it cannot be less per CW hour delivered at the machine. A demand meter may alter that a bit, but the real stuff is so much better that there is no comparison. Most phase converters suffer from the same problem- they change output voltage and phase angle with varying loads, so the machines are rarely getting optimum power.

Open delta is the same AC as the other types, just missing a separate ground.

Bill

"Open delta is the same AC as the other types, just missing a separate ground."

???... open delta has a ground between l1 and l2.. with a 12$ demand charge for 3 phase and no demand charge for 1 phase its a no brainer.....Phil

Is it less expensive to install 3phase, or use a phase inverter. I can get 3 Phase installed for $1000.00.

If you definitely do not want to deal with electrical power generation issues then get the install.

Not sure what your needs are but you could probably build a nice phase converter for that much money.

If you definitely do not want to deal with electrical power generation issues then get the install.

Not sure what your needs are but you could probably build a nice phase converter for that much money.

Having run for several years on a commercial converter, Rotophase, and done some investigation, I don't know of a converter that replaces the real thing. Most of the static and rotary units can be tuned for one load but will be off the voltage or phase angle in the generated phase. Most converters are like sex in a car. You can do it, but there are lots of better ways.

Bill

"which phase is less expensive to use ?"
"c" phase....Because "a" and "b" are closer to the top.....:d

If you don't understand the references to "Demand Charges", commercial and industrial users are charged a separate amount for what the Utility must keep in reserve to handle your demands during peak operations. So they add another meter called a "Demand Meter" that is like a ratcheting meter in that it registers the peak amount you demanded from them during the month and doesn't go back down, and that then triggers additional charges, usually as a multiplier on your kWh usage. Residential users don't get that separate meter, unless you go to a 3 phase service.

So they might be quoting you a low number as the one-time charge to drop the 3rd phase to your facility because there is already 3 phase on the pole, but the hidden "gotcha" is that they will add that new meter and get a chunk of flesh from you every month.

Back