What's new
What's new

Static Converter with pony motor

Franky6767

Plastic
I have a older monarch ck12 currently running on a phase a matic static converter. Just not happy with performance. Came with lathe.....

Static Phase Converter Information Page - Phase-A-Matic, Inc.

Link above shows a method of hooking it up method number 2 if you scroll down to it....with a idle motor.
Question....would hooking it up this way with a idle motor the same as a rotary phase converter? OR is it alittle more complex than that? I likley can come across a 3 phase motor somewhere or any other,,,seems like a cheaper way to go.... but is this a waste of time or just as good?

ANy thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have a older monarch ck12 currently running on a phase a matic static converter. Just not happy with performance. Came with lathe.....

Static Phase Converter Information Page - Phase-A-Matic, Inc.

Link above shows a method of hooking it up method number 2 if you scroll down to it....with a idle motor.
Question....would hooking it up this way with a idle motor the same as a rotary phase converter? OR is it alittle more complex than that? I likley can come across a 3 phase motor somewhere or any other,,,seems like a cheaper way to go.... but is this a waste of time or just as good?

"Pony" motor is something else. See if you can change the thread title to "idler" motor.

Yah. All you are doing is re-purposing the static converter to act as starter-balancer of a Rotary Phase Converter. The idler becomes the heavy-lifter.

Most of those who make statics provide instructions on how to do that with their specific goods. Same concept as if you had started an RPC from scratch.

Minor differences because of what is already in the maker's enclosure. Use THEIR guidance ELSE aside their unit and DO go and start from scratch.

Yes if you like the potential relay start method built into the static converter. But I don't consider this a full system so I would build a RPC from scratch.

The static converter might be good for starting the idle motor, but you should do some research on using run caps to balance the phases. A little bit of simple math involved as far as sizing the caps, but there is a wealth of information out there on building a RPC, if a dum dum like me can build one, so can you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back