What's new
What's new

Plasma cutter with phase converter

MetalArtistCandy

Aluminum
Can I run a plasma cutter on a phase converter? I have a 7.5hp and 20 hp phase converter. I just need to figure out what size the plasma cutter is. A neighbor has one for sale, need to know what is possible before buying one.

Can I run a plasma cutter on a phase converter? I have a 7.5hp and 20 hp phase converter. I just need to figure out what size the plasma cutter is. A neighbor has one for sale, need to know what is possible before buying one.

I run a Thermal Dynamics 60i 3 phase on my 15hp rotary. Works perfect.(CNC table too.) That is cutting 1.5 inch in test mode.. If fact it pierces better then the single phase versions I have owned. Guy I sold a single phase machine to, gave me the 15 hp motor for my phase converter..:D

I recently converted my 85A plasma to single-phase using technique similar to what I've done with welders, and it blasted through 1" plate like butter, but I really haven't had an opportunity to put it to a good long-term, long-duty-cycle test...

And...

there's a zillion different types of plasma cutters... some are transformer based, some are switching-mode types... what YOU are considering, could be totally different from any other. If it's a switching-mode (inverter) unit, it darn well might be set up from factory to work on single OR three.

What kind of machine does your neighbor have? take a picture of the ID plates and look it up on the web, download a manual, get a schematic. We can tell you more from that. ;-)

Dave, in my quest to find an inexpensive plasma cutter I checked out the diagrams for a lot of three phase cutters. I actually found that some of the transformer based units used the capacitors on one phase to make their three phase unit run on single phase.

Dave, in my quest to find an inexpensive plasma cutter I checked out the diagrams for a lot of three phase cutters. I actually found that some of the transformer based units used the capacitors on one phase to make their three phase unit run on single phase.

That is dead-on, sir... they simply phase-shifted the middle coil to make it circulate.

Back