What's new
What's new

Understanding single phase 120/240 volts: the Edison three wire system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnelson

Stainless
The recent thread, 220 panel & ground has raised questions from some PM members about the 120/240 volt system we have in our homes.

At the risk of being pedantic, I thought a bit of a tutorial, by way of a dry cell experiment anyone can easily do, would help with the understanding.

edison3.gif

This is the Edison 3-wire system which is used in homes.

As an example, consider two dry cells, each 1.5 volts, connected in series as shown above. The voltage between legs A and B is 3.0 volts, while the voltage between the neutral and either leg is 1.5 volts.

Now imagine two lamps, each 1.5 volts and equal current. If you connect one between leg A and neutral, it will light up. The same with leg B and neutral.

Can you see if you connected both lamps up, one on leg A and the other on leg B, that both would light up, and both would stay lit even if you cut the neutral?

With the load equally balanced between legs A and B, the neutral current drops out, as you have, essentially, both lamps in series across 3.0 volts.

This is exactly how it works in your house. In this case, the 'battery' is the secondary winding of the transformer, with both ends of the coil tapped as well as the center of the secondary coil. The center tap is what we call the neutral conductor (white insulation). This conductor is grounded to the earth, both at the transformer and at your house service entrance. Thus you can touch the live neutral conductor without getting any shock, as it is at zero volts with respect to earth.

Each of the phase legs (either black or red insulation) is at 120 volts potential with respect to the neutral. But the potential between both phase legs is 240 volts. The phase leg conductors are often called the 'hot' or 'live' wires.

Circuit breakers or fuses are put on the phase conductors only, NEVER the neutral. That's why a 120 volt circuit has a single width breaker, while a 240 volt circuit such as your air conditioner has a double-width breaker -- one for each leg. Circuit breaker panels are designed so that any two adjacent vertical slots will tap opposite phase legs.

Although the neutral conductor is always grounded, it almost always carries current. The only time it wouldn't is if the load were exactly balanced on legs A and B.

On the other hand the equipment grounding conductor (green insulation, or bare wire) never carries current except in the case of a power surge or a ground fault. The reason is that the equipment grounding conductor is connected to the metal frame or chassis of a tool such as an electric saw. The neutral wire going to the saw carries 120 volts, as does the hot wire. If the neutral were to become abraided and touch the metal chassis, you would not get shocked and the saw would keep running (although this would not be a great situation).

Without the grounding conductor, if the hot wire were to touch the chassis of the saw and you were standing on wet earth, there's a very good chance the saw would keep on running and you would get electrocuted as the current passed through your body to earth, but at not sufficient current to trip the breaker.

However, with the grounding conductor properly in place, any current from the hot wire would instantly be diverted to ground. You would feel no shock. And the short to ground would also trip the breaker, immediately shutting the saw off.

You can see just how important proper grounding is from the standpoint of life safety. I wish people who cut off the grounding prong on a male plug so it will fit into a two slot receptacle could read and understand this.

For big home devices such as your water heater and air conditioner, there may not be any neutral at all. Frequently these devices are wired with only the two phase legs to feed the load, and a third wire to serve as the equipment grounding conductor for safety in case either hot wire should accidentally touch the metal frame.

so i still dont understand ,sorry, whats the dif. in the box . the neutral is there and the ground and then thay bond the 2 together with a screw . so whats the dif . now the neutral is a ground,jim

This clarifies a bit the oft confusing concept
of 'grounding' versus 'grounded' at least
conceptually. Doubt I will be able to keep
straight which is which but the function
is now revealed. Thanks for the effort.
Steve

so i still dont understand ,sorry, whats the dif. in the box . the neutral is there and the ground and then thay bond the 2 together with a screw . so whats the dif . now the neutral is a ground,jim
Wrong.

All of the wires which are true neutrals CARRY CURRENT UNDER ORDINARY CONDITIONS. These neutrals carry current, at zero potential with respect to ground, a)for 120 volt loads, or b) for any 240 volt loads, where there is an imbalance such as in my example above where one 1.5 volt lamp is rated 1 amp, and the other 1.5 volt lamp is rated 2 amps; in that case, the neutral wire carries 1 amp back to the bus.

All of the wires which are true grounds CARRY **NO** CURRENT UNDER ORDINARY CONDITIONS. The ONLY time these ground wires carry current is in the event of a fault. If the fault is a phase-to-frame fault, the ground wire carries heavy fault current back to the neutral bus, AND effects the tripping of the circuit breaker or blowing of the fuse, eliminating the fault.

"All of the wires which are true neutrals CARRY CURRENT UNDER ORDINARY CONDITIONS."

"All of the wires which are true grounds CARRY **NO** CURRENT UNDER ORDINARY CONDITIONS."

So does this mean that a dryer outlet with 3 wires is not grounded? I think I read that the neutural is conected to the frame of the dryer.

Can you give me a specific example of a problem developing because the neutral is connected to the frame to act as a ground?

Thank you all for the explanations and for others asking questions.

"So does this mean that a dryer outlet with 3 wires is not grounded?"

No, it is "grounded through the neutral" ... and, such a receptacle is intended only for appliances which were specifically designed for such use, and which were properly installed.

"I think I read that the neutural is conected to the frame of the dryer."

Correct.

Also true for ranges, ovens and cooktops.

"Can you give me a specific example of a problem developing because the neutral is connected to the frame to act as a ground?"

If a failure occurs in the load (often called the "utilization equipment" in the NEC) ... a machine, say, not an appliance for purposes of this discussion ... and a line-to-frame fault occurs, then the neutral which is also common to 120 volt lighting and plug loads, and may also be common to 120/240 volt appliances, is immediately raised to potential of the line-to-frame voltage, thereby making potentially every other receptacle in the premises unsafe.

Appliances which are designed for grounding in this way are also designed to the greatest degree possible to limit the effects of this very unsafe condition.

OTOH, machinery and other non-appliance "utilization equipment" are not designed with these very significant issues in mind. These loads expect ... no, demand ... a true protective ground, separate from the neutral.

To follow up up Peter's explanation of the hazard, just imagine for a minute if there were another appliance on that circuit, such as a table saw, which is also grounded through the neutral.

In this case, were a phase to frame fault to occur on the dryer, the operator of the table saw would receive the phase to frame potential on the table saw frame.

Hopefully such a connection would never happen. But it's just scenarios like these which caused the NEC to be much more specific in laying out the regulations for grounding through the neutral, and for demanding that four prong receptacles be run in new construction to outlets intended to serve 240 volt appliances.

"But it's just scenarios like these which caused the NEC to be much more specific in laying out the regulations for grounding through the neutral, and for demanding that four prong receptacles be run in new construction to outlets intended to serve 240 volt appliances."

Absolutely true.

However, for purposes of clarification, 4-prong receptacles are used only for 120/240 loads, not for 240 loads.

120/240 loads require L1, L2, N and G (L1, L2 and N/G, for "old work"); whereas 240 loads require L1, L2 and G (same as "old work").

The "new work" change to the code was for "grounding through the neutral" utilization equipment, only.

Believing that "a ground is a ground is a ground" (to paraphrase Gertrude Stein, my Godmother), and confusion as to when/why the code change for 120/240 was made, is a mistake many home machinists are likely to make, when they first encounter the need to power 240 volt equipment, and they see that range or dryer receptacle staring them seductively in the eye, and then they make plans for using that receptacle for their machine loads.

No, two phase usually has four wires which are connected to the load machine.

Regular house current at 220 volts is single phase. It is not possible to have more than single phase if only two wires are supplied.

It is, however, possible to have three phase if three wires are supplied, even if one of them is a true neutral (open wye connection).

"It is, however, possible to have three phase if three wires are supplied, even if one of them is a true neutral (open wye connection)."

That would be a grounded delta configuration.

The B phase is grounded.

But, four conductors are still required as the B phase carries a load current.

The fourth wire is the equipment grounding conductor.

Residential 120/240 volt service in the US uses
a center-tapped source on the supply transformer.

Because of this, the voltages between the two
hot legs add algebraically - they are 180 degrees
out of phase.

Neutral to black = 120
Netural to red = 120

Black to red = 240 volts

If one were to look at both phases simultaneously
with an oscilloscope, one would see that the
180 degree phase difference - using the neutral
as the reference point.

Because of this, an electronics engineer would
examine those waveforms and say there are two
signals 180 degrees out of phase, or 'two phases.'

This is probably the origin of the mistaken
identification of residential 120/240 power as
being "two phase."

True two phase power supplies two waveforms which
are *90* degrees out of phase with each other.
I think there may be one or two places in the
entire US where that kind of power is distributed,
and it is not supplied directly to residences
*anywhere*.

The *electrician's* definition of polyphase power
is blindingly simple: it is "any power that
allows the operation of polyphase motors directly
from the line." Inherent in this definition is
the idea that true polyphase power permits one
create a rotating magnetic field inside the
motor frame.

Center tapped residential power does *not* allow
this, as both voltages rise and fall exactly out
of phase. No matter how they are combined in
a motor stator, the currents can only create
a field that oscillates in a single, stationary
direction.

Gary Coffman and I have knocked this issue around
on rcm for years. We both agree that one cannot
run polyphase motors from residential centertapped
power in the US. However I maintain the common
error of calling it "two phase" power is based
on the electronics engineer's view of the two
wavforms, referenced against the neutral. In
some sense it does depend on which definition one
uses - the electronics engineer's, or the
industrial electricians. Of course for this
forum the second is correct.

Jim

PS - Bnelson, I really liked your dry cell
analogy. My dad never really did understand
AC power, but he could understand your diagram.
My only suggestion would be that *real*
No. 6 dry cells have the positive terminal in
the center, and the ground at the zinc case
terminal on the side!

At the old Daniel Green Plant in Doldgeville, there is a Westinghouse DC and A Westinghouse 2 phase persumably to supply power to motors that were still in place when that set was installed in 1910 or so the replace the original Edison set.

"It is, however, possible to have three phase if three wires are supplied, even if one of them is a true neutral (open wye connection)."

That would be a grounded delta configuration.
Peter, here in Indiana we do have open wye transformer connections supplied by two phase legs and a neutral of a wye primary distribution system (the middle diagram):

xfmrcon.jpg

You can always tell these connections on the poles, where they frequently run to an 'end of the line' pole serving a school or business such as a bakery. You see two high voltage phase conductors on the top of these poles, then a neutral underneath, with an open grounded delta on the secondary.

I would imagine (though I don't know it for a fact) that this pole connection is THE WORST of any possible three phase connection for voltage regulation.

My mistake ... you were (implicitly) referencing the primary side of the connection, while I was (explicitly) referencing the secondary side of the connection.

I agree that open wye probably has poor regulation ... about as poor as open delta.

Wye-wye is relatively uncommon. This has a zero degree displacement between primary and secondary sides.

Wye-delta and delta-wye are more common, and have a 30 degree dislacement.

Delta-delta is probably the most common.

Hi I have a problem in that the motor electric connection has no plug on it. There are four wires Black, Brown, Blue and Green/yellow. Obviously The green/yellow is the earth but can anyone tell me what the other three might be, or even if it is plugged into a three pin plug or is it a three phase plug
Input would be apreciated

I am going to lock this because of the unrelated content. Please start a NEW thread about your plug problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back