What's new
What's new

Potential relays

Don Gitzel

Aluminum
What do you think about using potential relays to start a RPC. I found them finicky and troublesome. I usually wire the start relay to the start button momentarily energizing the start relay and releasing the button when the idler comes up to speed. If remotely started, I will use a time delay relay. I think potential relays are more meant for single phase refrigeration loads.

What do you think about using potential relays to start a RPC. I found them finicky and troublesome. I usually wire the start relay to the start button momentarily energizing the start relay and releasing the button when the idler comes up to speed. If remotely started, I will use a time delay relay. I think potential relays are more meant for single phase refrigeration loads.

They have worked for a lot of RPCs, so they are not that bad.

The one serious problem I see is that unless added parts are used to prevent it, if the voltage drops, such as under an abnormal load, they will connect the start caps again. The electrolytic type cap will likely be destroyed by that, but one can use oil filled capacitors rated for the voltage.

A time delay relay is pretty positive and won't reconnect.

They have worked for a lot of RPCs, so they are not that bad.

The one serious problem I see is that unless added parts are used to prevent it, if the voltage drops, such as under an abnormal load, they will connect the start caps again. The electrolytic type cap will likely be destroyed by that, but one can use oil filled capacitors rated for the voltage.

A time delay relay is pretty positive and won't reconnect.

My RPC was a dual motor 10hp/40hp idler. The 40hp motor was a dead short, and attempting to connect it after it was up to speed dropped the 240V line to around 160V or less, causing the potential relay on the 10hp idler to kick back in. The only ill effect was fusing the contacts on the potential relay together, as I don't think they are really meant to close under load. The start capacitors were fine, but the 10hp idler would immediately spin up and then "growl" very loudly until you hit stop/start a few times and the contacts properly seperated.

I find potential relays are finicky only when connected incorrectly.

The only praise for them comes from the people selling them.

My first converter came with a potential relay. I converted a standard AC coil relay to a current relay by rewinding the coil with a few turns of 12 ga enameled wire. Worked great. I don't know what this hangup on potential relays is about.

Bill

My first converter came with a potential relay. I converted a standard AC coil relay to a current relay by rewinding the coil with a few turns of 12 ga enameled wire. Worked great. I don't know what this hangup on potential relays is about.

Bill

Because the net and youtube. The tube has a ton of first-timers advertizing their first works, and of course people copy....

Back