What's new
What's new

Principles of VFD Set Up - PM 1440TL Lathe with Hitachi WJ200-075LF VFD

BladesIIB

Plastic
Video - How to set up a VFD On a Lathe full remote controls

I am new on this forum and wanted to share a video around VFD's operation that has helped others.

There are a lot of videos about making a three phase motor run with a VFD, and a few with a remote start and stop switch. What I could not find when I was learning was a video that really explained how a VFD was different from just running 3 phase power. Or how a VFD functioned different from a Rotary Phase Converter and why you needed to re-wire so much of your lathe for a VFD. For a total newbie, this high level mental picture was missing for me.

Thanks to great Members of this Forum, like (mksj), and to Matt at Precision Matthews, I was able to build my mental model of how to do this and I wanted to pay that learning forward and try to save others couple of weeks of reading, reviewing pictures and searching.

This Video is designed to give that high level overview and comparison to really give you the principles to understand the VFD. The video does walk through a specific example with my Precision Matthews PM 1440TL Lathe wired with a Hitachi WJ200-075LF VFD. In this example the full wiring set up along with all the controls and changes from the factory set up are explained.

Disclaimer: I am not a certified Electrician and the wiring diagrams shown are not certified wiring diagrams, just my own visual representation of how this works. Consult your Lathe and VFD Owners manuals and work with a certified electrician for all electrical work. Use of any of this information is completely at your own risk. Electricity can be fatal - and this is dealing with high voltage!!

Last edited:

Back