What's new
What's new

Programming Teco L510 for 3 phase 1 hp milling machine motor

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I've been trying to get my Bridgeport milling machine running using a Teco L510 VFD For weeks now And can't seem to get it to do anything but spin at the lowest possible rate of about two or three RPMs a minute.. There are so many various parameters and I haven't a clue on what they mean.. i've watched all the YouTube videos regarding programming this unit and they all mostly just give instructions on how to actually input the various settings but nothing about what setting is for what purpose.. I realize that all of them don't have to be set as there are a lot for extra specialty functions I just want to be able to transform my 220 single phase input power into 223 phase output and get this motor going... to look at this manual and all the various different settings you would think that you would have to be an electrical engineer to understand with all this means ... I don't consider myself to be a stupid person but I have to admit I am lost ,,,Everything is hooked up properly there's no problem there,,my three Input wires going to L1 and L3 with the ground and my four output wires coming from the motor into T1 T2 T3 and again the ground.. A few people have told me what I should set a few of these parameters to but obviously something is missing or programmed improperly.. I have another Teco L 510 but I want to use for my South Bend Lathe But I don't want to completely uninstall this one I've already got up there all wired up and put another unit up there and try that one without Trying To get this right first thinking that this one might be defective,,, I just have the standard 1 hp three phase motor on my J head,, And Thinking that I've accidentally punch something in wrong that might be keeping this from happening I've searched cover to cover time and time again looking in the manual for a way to reset this unit back to factory and no where can I find that either.. I tried calling Westinghouse and nobody's answering,, i've called five various electric motor repair shops and unbelievably nobody over there has a clue regarding VFD's.. I know there are thousands of these things out there and the guys that have programmed them without a problem.. please is there anyone out there that can assist me in this before I lose my mind.. it would be greatly appreciated.. thank you.. joseph.

Yes sir thank you very much for helping me here.. The unit I have is the TECO Westinghouse L510
(L510-201-H1-U) which should Transform 220 single phase into 220 3 phase...
The motor nameplate on the Bridgeport is 1 hp,, 3 phase,,
50/60 cycles,,
200V-4.0-3.8A
230V-3.3A
380V-1.9A
460V-1.65A
RPM-1420/1730...

I thought I had set up the Control wiring to use the speed control on the keypad,, the up and down buttons but I would like to use the potentiometer.. also I just reset the unit as you described and now when I turn it on it flashes 5.00,, which is what all the other units on the videos I watched were flashing before they turned theirs on and now when I turn the unit on it automatically spins the motor a little faster but nowhere near any usable speed and the keypad or the potentiometer will not make it go faster so now that I've reset it back to factory I need to go in and program what I need for this motor and I really don't know what those codes are in the book because I don't understand exactly what these electrical terms are in the manual..
Can you give Can you give me the list on what specific input code I need and the value I need to set it at.. it seems like were finally making headway here I truly Appreciate what you're doing for me.. Thank you

Do you mean the dial on the front, or an external potentiometer?

You want section 6 of the manual, parameter 00-05. Default is '0' - the up and down arrows on the keypad. You could also use '1' - the dial on the drive front, or '2' - external analogue voltage input; you would use this to have an external potentiometer mounted remotely.

You will also want to follow at least section 8.1 to set the motor data, so the drive can protect the motor from overload, and possibly 8.2 to change the acceleration and deceleration times.

No sir,, I haven't hooked up another potentiometer I was talking about the dial on the front as you mentioned... Will I be able to use the up and down buttons to control the RPMs and also have the dial for the potentiometer also functioning to use either one or just one set up or the other but not both..
So Now that I've sent it back to factory with the reset I don't understand what you mean by Section 6 or section 8.. ? Everything is listed in groups.. For example .. group 06 is all just automatic program operation parameters.. with about 10 different auto run mode frequency commands.. I have no idea what these mean nor which one to choose.. And if you mean The groups as in group 01,, Group 02,, Group 03.. ect.. when I go to group 08 there is no 8.1,, Just codes like 08-01,, 08-02,, 08-03.. ect,,, i'm not sure if you mean when you say how to section 8.1 you're referring to 08-01...???
When I gave you the name plate information.. where would I find the section or the group shall I say to program that info in because once again now that I've reset it I haven't input that information... right when I turn the unit on it automatically flashers Real quick 230 V,,I'm assuming reading the power coming in and then it immediately goes to 5.00,,, And that's what stays lit up on the unit and the motor automatically comes on and spins very slowly with no way to Turn it up any faster.. The default says that the keypad up and down arrows are automatically set but they don't work nor does the knob for the potentiometer.. The motor spins at the slowest rate the machine will go.. do I have to go in and program all the nameplate information in group 02 (Motor parameters),, Because I don't know what all these mean this is unbelievable and there is no default for them it gives you number *4 in the notes which number 4 says to (read) so I believe they're saying read the motor information For that particular motor and program that in but the first two are (02-00 Motor Mo load current) and (02-01 Motor rated current ( OL1),, I don't know what these are and there is no default to them so obviously it's something I have to put in,, I just can't believe how complicated this is,, Obviously something is missing that Has to be done Aside from the factory setting..???

Actually group 02 motor parameters are the only ones that don't have a default.. That obviously something has to be programmed in..

When I was looking for my first VFD, I searched "VFD" on youtube. I found plenty of videos on setting up a Teco L510. So that's what I bought.

I knew nothing about VFDs and little about electronics. Probably less than you do. Yet I had no trouble setting it up with the aid of youtube videos like the one I linked to above. It's an easy VFD to program.

Ya I went that route before I started bothering people and couldn't find any that explain which of the essential parameters needed to be programmed in manually.. they're all just how to hook up extra switches and potentiometers and how to actually program a certain feature,, couldn't find any that explained what needed to be done outside of what's already programmed as defaults... anyway thank you for your help..

No sir,, I haven't hooked up another potentiometer I was talking about the dial on the front as you mentioned... Will I be able to use the up and down buttons to control the RPMs and also have the dial for the potentiometer also functioning to use either one or just one set up or the other but not both..
So Now that I've sent it back to factory with the reset I don't understand what you mean by Section 6 or section 8.. ? Everything is listed in groups.. For example .. group 06 is all just automatic program operation parameters.. with about 10 different auto run mode frequency commands.. I have no idea what these mean nor which one to choose.. And if you mean The groups as in group 01,, Group 02,, Group 03.. ect.. when I go to group 08 there is no 8.1,, Just codes like 08-01,, 08-02,, 08-03.. ect,,, i'm not sure if you mean when you say how to section 8.1 you're referring to 08-01...???
When I gave you the name plate information.. where would I find the section or the group shall I say to program that info in because once again now that I've reset it I haven't input that information... right when I turn the unit on it automatically flashers Real quick 230 V,,I'm assuming reading the power coming in and then it immediately goes to 5.00,,, And that's what stays lit up on the unit and the motor automatically comes on and spins very slowly with no way to Turn it up any faster.. The default says that the keypad up and down arrows are automatically set but they don't work nor does the knob for the potentiometer.. The motor spins at the slowest rate the machine will go.. do I have to go in and program all the nameplate information in group 02 (Motor parameters),, Because I don't know what all these mean this is unbelievable and there is no default for them it gives you number *4 in the notes which number 4 says to (read) so I believe they're saying read the motor information For that particular motor and program that in but the first two are (02-00 Motor Mo load current) and (02-01 Motor rated current ( OL1),, I don't know what these are and there is no default to them so obviously it's something I have to put in,, I just can't believe how complicated this is,, Obviously something is missing that Has to be done Aside from the factory setting..???

By "section 6", "section 8.1" I meant section 8.1 of the user manual I linked earlier. Sorry about that.

Yes, you need to configure the motor nameplate data. It's possible that it will lock you to 5Hz speed until that is done. I'm not particularly familiar with this particular drive.

Ya I went that route before I started bothering people and couldn't find any that explain which of the essential parameters needed to be programmed in manually.. they're all just how to hook up extra switches and potentiometers and how to actually program a certain feature,, couldn't find any that explained what needed to be done outside of what's already programmed as defaults... anyway thank you for your help..

If you haven't done so already, download the PDF manual for the L510. There was information I needed that wasn't in the printed manual back when I got mine. I just now searched for "teco l510 pdf manual" and the official link was the first thing that came up. You may not need any of the extra bits of technical info, but at least it will be searchable.

Let's go with the values from your motor that you posted earlier. Skip parameter 02-00. Set parameter 02-01 to "3.3". Skip 02-02. Set 02-03 to "1730". Set 02-04 to "230". Skip 02-05. Set 02-06 to 60. You should now be able to turn the motor on and off from the front panel with the "RUN" key to verify that it's turning in the right direction, and set the speed with the arrow buttons.

Once you verify operation you can change parameter 00-05 to "1" and control the speed from the front panel knob.

As you have already seen, there are hundreds of parameters, but you only need a few. Get this much working. Then you can work on wiring and setting up your external controls. There are few other things you might want to tweak, but that will keep.

Ok buddy,, went to the reset code and washed everything once again,, Then I I did everything you said,, and I am now finally operational 😁.
What an ordeal,,, thank you so much for sticking with me through this... you know I bought this milling machine a year and a half ago and because of work and all I haven't been able to get it going and once I was able to it was just one thing after another... Everything seems fine now And once again buddy thank you so much....👍

Back