What's new
What's new

Pulse width modulation for a valve

YoungDen

Cast Iron
This off topic but I can't find anywhere else to ask. I have a PWM hydraulic oil valve that controls flow to a hydraulic motor. The motor drives a pump. The signal is controlled by computer to have pump make proper pressure when it is in operation. That works fine. What I want is a way to turn pump on to prime. The valve tag says 122 hz. If I had a dpdt switch to change input to valve and had this power supply, would this open valve?

DC Motor Speed Control HHO / PWM 12V/24V 30A Max Freq. 100Hz LM324 | eBay

Measuring current to valve as it is now is not easy or simple, is there an easy way?

How much current?

'generally' PWM controls a given voltage up to 'ON', 'ON' being 100 percent duty cycle, so 'generally' a momentary switch at voltage is not a problem

'generally'

Were it a heater on PWM it would be very possible to fry it in a second but a valve I am thinking unlikely

You need to verify the voltage it is pulsing also. Chances are it will be 12 or 24 volt but I have also seen 5 and 48 volt. If you pulse with the wrong voltage then you can damage the valve. You can't measure this with a multimeter. You can measure it with an occiloscope or trace the wires back to the amplifier that is pulsing and see what power is feeding the output circuit.

You can measure it with a multimeter with a diode and a capacitor but that's out of the reliable skill range of many.

Back