What's new
What's new

Push button controls for a bin tipper

R8f1k

Aluminum
I just bought an old hydraulic bin tipper for my cider operation. The wiring is bad at best and the controls are “creative”. There is a 115 motor powering a small hydraulic pump. The pump has a release solenoid to lower the pressure. Electric controls are two household toggles and some BX and Romex. I plan on changing everything from the pump up. I have a Square D relay (8910DP32V02) with a 110 coil. I have a nice Allen Bradley push button station that I would like to use. I also have a 3 pole contactor out of a square D box that could be used, I would just need to wire the motor for 210v. I need the controls to do the following: The switches need to be momentary and not latching. I want to be able to “bump” the bin tipper up or down slightly depending on the contents. Is there a way to do that with my components? If so, how is it wired?

What kind of valve pack are you working with? One solenoid or two? Got pictures of the hydraulic symbology on it you can share? Do your contactors have auxiliary contacts?

Pictures are worth ten thousand words.

One solenoid, I can tell you that it is a double acting hydraulic cylinder that is being used as a single acting. The solenoid is just a pressure release on the return side of the pump. That opens with one switch, while the other turns the motor on and off. Aside from what I am asking the controls to do, is there a better way to do this? I could do a hydraulic spool, but electric feels cleaner.

One solenoid, I can tell you that it is a double acting hydraulic cylinder that is being used as a single acting. The solenoid is just a pressure release on the return side of the pump. That opens with one switch, while the other turns the motor on and off. Aside from what I am asking the controls to do, is there a better way to do this? I could do a hydraulic spool, but electric feels cleaner.

Sounds allot like a simple car lift circuit.

Where the solenoid is normally closed.
PB "up" runs pump.
PB "Down" energizes solenoid.

Sounds allot like a simple car lift circuit.

Where the solenoid is normally closed.
PB "up" runs pump.
PB "Down" energizes solenoid.

Exactly. Any recommendations? Not gonna lie, I like push buttons, I'm just not sure how to run two separate items (The pump and the solenoid) off of one contactor, if that is even possible. I do have two old Furnas contactors laying around.

Exactly. Any recommendations? Not gonna lie, I like push buttons, I'm just not sure how to run two separate items (The pump and the solenoid) off of one contactor, if that is even possible. I do have two old Furnas contactors laying around.

You need both contactors.

Each one energizes one load.

Hell, you only need one contactor. 800T pushbuttons with the usual NEMA A600 contact blocks are good for pilot duty at 600V. They'll handle that solenoid just fine. Use a contactor for the pump and wire the 'down' pushbutton directly in series with the pressure release solenoid.

I'd use type MTW wire for the controls. Non-metallic liquidtight flex between enclosures. SJOW or SOOW cable and a gland with strain relief for incoming power if this is a portable appliance.

Hell, you only need one contactor. 800T pushbuttons with the usual NEMA A600 contact blocks are good for pilot duty at 600V. They'll handle that solenoid just fine. Use a contactor for the pump and wire the 'down' pushbutton directly in series with the pressure release solenoid.

I'd use type MTW wire for the controls. Non-metallic liquidtight flex between enclosures. SJOW or SOOW cable and a gland with strain relief for incoming power if this is a portable appliance.

Thank you for the input, I never thought of just using the button vs adding another contactor. However, this morning I looked through my bin of extra electrical parts and I found two Square D 2 pole contactors. I wired them up testing them with light bulbs as the output and I have a pretty good setup at this moment. I dropped it into a waterproof 6"x6"x4" box and I plan on running non-metallic liquid tight from the motor to the box.

Now onto my other problem.....that solenoid is exposed very precariously in my opinion. I would like to put a water proof cover over it as well or at least protect it. Are there other solenoids to replace it? Thoughts?

Back