Push button controls for a bin tipper
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Push button controls for a bin tipper

    I just bought an old hydraulic bin tipper for my cider operation. The wiring is bad at best and the controls are “creative”. There is a 115 motor powering a small hydraulic pump. The pump has a release solenoid to lower the pressure. Electric controls are two household toggles and some BX and Romex. I plan on changing everything from the pump up. I have a Square D relay (8910DP32V02) with a 110 coil. I have a nice Allen Bradley push button station that I would like to use. I also have a 3 pole contactor out of a square D box that could be used, I would just need to wire the motor for 210v. I need the controls to do the following: The switches need to be momentary and not latching. I want to be able to “bump” the bin tipper up or down slightly depending on the contents. Is there a way to do that with my components? If so, how is it wired?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    171
    Likes (Received)
    167

    Default

    What kind of valve pack are you working with? One solenoid or two? Got pictures of the hydraulic symbology on it you can share? Do your contactors have auxiliary contacts?

    Pictures are worth ten thousand words.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    img_5059.jpgimg_5054.jpgimg_5057.jpgimg_5053.jpgimg_5056.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    img_5058.jpgimg_5055.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    One solenoid, I can tell you that it is a double acting hydraulic cylinder that is being used as a single acting. The solenoid is just a pressure release on the return side of the pump. That opens with one switch, while the other turns the motor on and off. Aside from what I am asking the controls to do, is there a better way to do this? I could do a hydraulic spool, but electric feels cleaner.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R8f1k View Post
    One solenoid, I can tell you that it is a double acting hydraulic cylinder that is being used as a single acting. The solenoid is just a pressure release on the return side of the pump. That opens with one switch, while the other turns the motor on and off. Aside from what I am asking the controls to do, is there a better way to do this? I could do a hydraulic spool, but electric feels cleaner.
    Sounds allot like a simple car lift circuit.

    Where the solenoid is normally closed.
    PB "up" runs pump.
    PB "Down" energizes solenoid.

  7. Likes Just a Sparky liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sounds allot like a simple car lift circuit.

    Where the solenoid is normally closed.
    PB "up" runs pump.
    PB "Down" energizes solenoid.
    Exactly. Any recommendations? Not gonna lie, I like push buttons, I'm just not sure how to run two separate items (The pump and the solenoid) off of one contactor, if that is even possible. I do have two old Furnas contactors laying around.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R8f1k View Post
    Exactly. Any recommendations? Not gonna lie, I like push buttons, I'm just not sure how to run two separate items (The pump and the solenoid) off of one contactor, if that is even possible. I do have two old Furnas contactors laying around.
    You need both contactors.

    Each one energizes one load.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    171
    Likes (Received)
    167

    Default

    Hell, you only need one contactor. 800T pushbuttons with the usual NEMA A600 contact blocks are good for pilot duty at 600V. They'll handle that solenoid just fine. Use a contactor for the pump and wire the 'down' pushbutton directly in series with the pressure release solenoid.

    I'd use type MTW wire for the controls. Non-metallic liquidtight flex between enclosures. SJOW or SOOW cable and a gland with strain relief for incoming power if this is a portable appliance.

  11. Likes digger doug liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Sparky View Post
    Hell, you only need one contactor. 800T pushbuttons with the usual NEMA A600 contact blocks are good for pilot duty at 600V. They'll handle that solenoid just fine. Use a contactor for the pump and wire the 'down' pushbutton directly in series with the pressure release solenoid.

    I'd use type MTW wire for the controls. Non-metallic liquidtight flex between enclosures. SJOW or SOOW cable and a gland with strain relief for incoming power if this is a portable appliance.
    Thank you for the input, I never thought of just using the button vs adding another contactor. However, this morning I looked through my bin of extra electrical parts and I found two Square D 2 pole contactors. I wired them up testing them with light bulbs as the output and I have a pretty good setup at this moment. I dropped it into a waterproof 6"x6"x4" box and I plan on running non-metallic liquid tight from the motor to the box.

    Now onto my other problem.....that solenoid is exposed very precariously in my opinion. I would like to put a water proof cover over it as well or at least protect it. Are there other solenoids to replace it? Thoughts?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •