What's new
What's new

Question about posible function of motors seen on HGR

Froneck

Titanium
I usually brows HGR's online site. Find some great items, junk too!! I seen an item I'm wondering what might be it's intended use. It's a base plate with two motors with shafts coupled together. 2 of each type and 2 types. One type 1-1/2 HP coupled to 2HP and the other is 2HP coupled to 2HP. However speed is different they all are 1160 coupled to 1725 RPM. Hard to see coupler type but it does seem to be a coupler. A sheet metal guard covers the coupling so it don't seem to be anything driven by the motors. Nor is one a generator or alternator. One set is item 0719 -031-0008

I usually brows HGR's online site. Find some great items, junk too!! I seen an item I'm wondering what might be it's intended use. It's a base plate with two motors with shafts coupled together. 2 of each type and 2 types. One type 1-1/2 HP coupled to 2HP and the other is 2HP coupled to 2HP. However speed is different they all are 1160 coupled to 1725 RPM. Hard to see coupler type but it does seem to be a coupler. A sheet metal guard covers the coupling so it don't seem to be anything driven by the motors. Nor is one a generator or alternator. One set is item 0719 -031-0008
Well whatever it was it's gone now. If the motors were different speeds, it was a generator application or a load tester.

I checked again to see if I had the number wrong or one of the other is still there. All are still there. 0719-031-0008, 0007, 0006 and 0005 (first 5 numbers are the same) I was wrong 0006 and 0005 are 1HP and 2HP combination 0008 and 0007 are 2HP and 2 HP. The name plates state they are 3 phase motors. What kind of test would require coupling 2 different speed motors together?

Induction generator tests. Drive one side with a VFD to test the other for output vs rpm, heat rise, etc. Having done it, it's a possibility. And just a possibility...

Nameplates would give further hints.

So what your saying is one of the motors is being tested for use as a generator/alternator. Nameplates for the 2HP motors are the same if my memory is correct, frame size of all the motors the same (184). Odd McMaster only lists 5HP 3phase in 184 and higher HP 1.5,3 and 5 Single phase so I assume the frame size is large. Motors look new, I would think anyone wanting to make an RPC in the 4HP size the pair is a small fraction of what McMaster wants for a single motor in addition one is 1160 RPM. All that needs to be done is remove the coupler and wire them to be PRCs.

Is a possibility, though admittedly not a very good one.

Normally the driven ind. gen has a much smaller hp rating than the driver, just to be sure the driver doesn't overheat. The driven being tested for the same.

Yah, agreed, prob best split up and used for other purposes.

Back