What's new
What's new

Question about remote controls on Teco L510

calderp

Aluminum
We're putting a VFD on our mill and I'm a little lost in the details with one particular part of the setup, maybe someone more familiar can help. This is the VFD: https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/L510_instruction_manual.pdf
On our remote controls I would like to have the following:

JOG FWD / JOG REV (either momentary pushbuttons or a momentary return to center paddle switch
START FWD / START REV (again there's a few ways to do this, my preference is with a return to center momentary paddle)
STOP
E-STOP

Conveniently the L510 has a pretty good logic board and can do all of this with simple inputs, no extra relays or switches. HOWEVER there are only 5 total 'multi-function terminals' despite there being something like 20 options for them. I can wire the JOG FWD/JOG REV/FWD/REV/STOP using these terminals and I can also wire the E-stop using these terminals but I'm short a terminal to do both at once. I could of course give up the separate STOP / E-STOP buttons and have a single sustained switch but for a few reasons I prefer both, mainly because I think that an E-STOP should be just that, an emergency stop. Is there another way to wire an E-STOP into these inverters which still uses the internal logic board to electrically brake the machine? I know I could wire in a relay to physically cut power but with the loss of electric braking this "emergency" stop would be slower than the normal stop button.
I know I could redesign my switching a little to free up a terminal and I may have to do that but my question first is whether there's a way that I'm not seeing to hook up a dedicated e-stop which uses the VFD's accelerated stopping but doesn't need to be run off of one of the multi-function terminals (S1-S5).

Just have the E-Stop interrupt the COM connection to kill all run controls if you want the VFD's braking to stay active. Alternative would be to use 2 wire control with a latching relay for forward and reverse, this requires an alternate power source for the relay power and momentary For/Rev buttons for run. Stop button breaks the power to the relays/latch. You loose power the latch also releases. Simple setup. This gives you 1 extra input, the E-Stop would then break power to the latching relays and issue a rapid stop command to the VFD.

Just have the E-Stop interrupt the COM connection to kill all run controls if you want the VFD's braking to stay active. Alternative would be to use 2 wire control with a latching relay for forward and reverse, this requires an alternate power source for the relay power and momentary For/Rev buttons for run. Stop button breaks the power to the relays/latch. You loose power the latch also releases. Simple setup. This gives you 1 extra input, the E-Stop would then break power to the latching relays and issue a rapid stop command to the VFD.

Thank you. I knew there was a simple solution I just got bogged down in that PDF. They don't even send an actual manual with the unit anymore it's just an install guide! Anyway, breaking COM is exactly what I was looking for, that gives me the separate e-stop button and operating stop button that I wanted. The latching relay is great too, I was considering a VFD reset button on the controls but it seems like these units are reliable enough that there's no real need. Good to know I can free up another input if I need to.

Thank you. I knew there was a simple solution I just got bogged down in that PDF. They don't even send an actual manual with the unit anymore it's just an install guide! .

Actually that's a sign they are learning. Used to be, they sent a paper manual and that was missing some key information.

Back