What's new
What's new

re-powering and old lathe. Help with new Drum Switch and Grizzly single phase motor

Robert Haas

Plastic
The Grizzly 2 HP motor comes with a schematic that I can not decipher.
it is a H5386 motor

the drum switch I purchased is a Dayton Maintained Reversing Steel Drum Switch, 2 Pole, NEMA Rating 1

Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't know if the thread will be closed because you said the "G" word. But while it is not, why don't you take a good clear picture of the schematics for the motor and for the switch and any collateral material you have on them.

Me thinks it may be more productive and surely most people here will be able to help.

Good luck,

Jacques

Edit: I meant take pictures, and post them here!

Many years ago I made an oath to never run a lathe set up like that again. The problem is that if you have an emergency and slap the switch in panic mode, there is a good possibility that you will go on through off to reverse. A three phase motor will come to a stop and start in reverse, giving you a moment to get the switch off or unwinding youself from the chuck. A single phase motor like yours, if it is going fast enough to get off the starting winding, will simply continue running in the same direction. I would set it up with start and stop buttons, the stop one preferably a big mushroom head panic button, and a separate forward-reverse switch.

Bill

Many years ago I made an oath to never run a lathe set up like that again. The problem is that if you have an emergency and slap the switch in panic mode, there is a good possibility that you will go on through off to reverse. A three phase motor will come to a stop and start in reverse, giving you a moment to get the switch off or unwinding youself from the chuck. A single phase motor like yours, if it is going fast enough to get off the starting winding, will simply continue running in the same direction. I would set it up with start and stop buttons, the stop one preferably a big mushroom head panic button, and a separate forward-reverse switch.

Bill

I was working in the college physics department shop. I didn't want to wait for the chuck to spin down so I hit reverse. That unscrewed the chuck and sent it spinning across the floor.

If you wire the lathe so it is capable of instant reverse you MUST remember to let the spindle stop before changing direction.

I was working in the college physics department shop. I didn't want to wait for the chuck to spin down so I hit reverse. That unscrewed the chuck and sent it spinning across the floor.

If you wire the lathe so it is capable of instant reverse you MUST remember to let the spindle stop before changing direction.

The maintenance man in a company I worked for had wood boards bolted to the inner ways of all the lathes with threaded spindles. He explained that the machinists would crack the chucks loose, then spin them off. Rather than try to reform them, he put pads for the chucks to land on. Lathes shouldn't have screw on chucks, anyway. The 14 1/2" South Bend I owned has one. One time I did some spinning that developed a lot of torque. When I tried to remove the faceplate I wound up shearing the key on the spindle and had to dismantle it and was still stuck with a jammed faceplate. I finally used a cutoff tool extended way out to reach the faceplate hub where it butted against the spindle shoulder and cut it away, ruining the faceplate but saving the spindle.

Bill

Back