What's new
What's new

Recommendations for DC motor controller

Diamond
I need to control a 1/4 hp shunt wound DC motor. The former controller supplied full wave rectified 120 VAC to both the armature and field, no filtering. Needs to be reversible, either armature or field since it doesn't seem to have series fields. I know there are a lot of such controllers but have little experience with them.

Bill

I need to control a 1/4 hp shunt wound DC motor. The former controller supplied full wave rectified 120 VAC to both the armature and field, no filtering. Needs to be reversible, either armature or field since it doesn't seem to have series fields. I know there are a lot of such controllers but have little experience with them.

Bill

Field reversing works with lower current, but there is latency unless over-driven.
5 HP and under, 3 HP and under especially, KB-Penta has been good for me, but I go there partly for their NEMA 4X housings.

At 1/4 HP you'd be served well-enough with a PWM drive instead of off-the-line 90/180 VDC SCR class.

The small PWM units can deliver the higher 120 VDC voltage cheaply - so long as at relatively low HP (2 HP or under is their best economy zone).

Field supply on all of these critters is ordinarily a naked FW bridge chip on one corner of the PCB, able to be strapped for 120 VAC or 240 VAC in.

No regulation, no alarm monitoring. No filtering. No Field economy circuit. Hot field all the time. Not really optimal unless Field input is switched-OFF with Armature input when motor is idle.

I've always abandoned those FWB bridge in-place in favour of DIY or use of some other, smaller DC drive's "Armature" output for my larger motor Field supply.

OTOH, that extra cost is justified largely because I want control over min/max Voltage and current, an alarm/shutdown signal for field too-low or lost outright when using Field Weakening. That replaces all those tuned and biased relays used in the 10EE DC panel I no longer use at all, for example.

A second DC Drive is not justifiable for a mere 1/4 HP load motor. One can do the protective part of that job with a Zener or two and a PUT or Crydom SSR more cheaply, if even you need Field power too low or Field power lost protection at all.

You probably DO NOT need it, actually. Many applications "squirrel caging" overspeed is just not a real-world risk.

I WOULD suggest use of a 4Q drive even if you don't need ANY of its regenerative features to operate the motor.

A 4Q unit manages potential switching and reversing rudeness inherently, and is less likely to be damaged by spikes it does not give rise to in the first place.

4Q also eliminates the need of reversing switches, relays, contactors, braking resistors, their logic, layout, mounting, wiring, and maintenance.

Not a lot of that to begin with on a mere 1/4 HP motor, but still.. sometimes, all it take is for one or more of those advantages to apply, and the modest extra cost over a 1Q drive is covered, all in one "wire and forget" package, Non Volatile RAM being a few Analog trimpots.

I wound up with a KB Electronics 4 quadrant drive. The deciding factor was that the manual for the existing, non working, drive showed a simple DPDT switch for reversing the armature with the caveat that the motor should be turned off, allowed to coast to a stop, then the switch reversed and the motor restarted. This machine is in a job shop where anyone can run it, meaning that it was inevitable that someone would reverse it at full speed and blow some semiconductors. As you all know, shutting a machine down in the middle of a job is the unforgivable sin. The KB drive ramps the speed down to zero, then ramps back up in the other direction, well worth the circa $250 the drive cost.

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

I wound up with a KB Electronics 4 quadrant drive. The deciding factor was that the manual for the existing, non working, drive showed a simple DPDT switch for reversing the armature with the caveat that the motor should be turned off, allowed to coast to a stop, then the switch reversed and the motor restarted. This machine is in a job shop where anyone can run it, meaning that it was inevitable that someone would reverse it at full speed and blow some semiconductors. As you all know, shutting a machine down in the middle of a job is the unforgivable sin. The KB drive ramps the speed down to zero, then ramps back up in the other direction, well worth the circa $250 the drive cost.

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

The 4Q drives are SERIOUS overkill for the actual task, but they are WORTHWHILE "overkill" for ability to essentially guarantee AVOIDING just that "Oh S**T!, I just blew another damned drive!" reason.

I bought one KB that was NOT a 4Q. It needed a special toggle switch KB had made that has that mechanical clumsiness built in as a "shift gate" so one cannot switch FAST from one direction to the other. Extra cost. Only good for a "reminder" to stop at centre-OFF. Still not good enough if you do NOT pay attention and stop. Trip-out on an alarm, if lucky. Blow something up if not so lucky.

4Q overkill is as much a service cost problem-solver as it is a quality of power control solution. All other DC drives here are 4Q, except the ones I use the adjustable, limit-able monitor-able "Armature" output of for variable field power on the larger motors (2 HP to 5 HP).

Glad to hear it is working for you as well - same sort of "idiot resistance".

Guess don't have to say it.. I was personally the "idiot" who blew-out the FIRST drive!
Mind I DO know how to expense my mistakes under R&D as "destructive testing" so they don't clutter-up depreciation nor CAPEX.

Yah gotta know Finance guys carrying O'Scopes and screwdrivers..

:)

Back