What's new
What's new

Recommended 5hp Sensorless Vector Drive VFDs???

jj80909

Aluminum
I'm looking to power a 5hp three phase motor in my lathe with a VFD. I haven't decided if I'll stick with a 5hp rated, 3ph input drive or use single phase on a 10hp drive, but from what I understand, getting one with "sensorless vector" technology is preferred. I already have the 5hp, inverter rated motor.

What I'd like to know is if most of the major brand VFDs with sensorless vector (Yaskawa, Hitachi, Lenze/AC Tech, etc.) are basically the same or if there are certain brands that are better? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

There are very few single phase input 5 Hp VFDs, other than the generic ones which are questionable as to their ratings and reliability. I would recommend the Yaskawa, CIMR-VU2A0020FAA. They run around $600 from Motors and Controls, installed them on a few 5 Hp lathes. They have very good reliability and a wide range of programming parameters. You should use an external braking resistor with a lathe, on this size VFD I believe it is 30-50 Ohms, 500W. Otherwise a derated 3 phase VFD, probably could get by with a 7.5 Hp, although the calculation say you need to upsize to 10 Hp. So Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A0040FAA or something like the Hitachi WJ200-075LF. The Yaskawa are the most common VFDs in the factory installed 3 and 5 Hp mills and lathes that I have seen. Both Yaskawa and Hitachi are sensorless vector drives, it gives better motor control and torque below ~30 Hz. I tend to over speed the motorsto 80-90 Hz, and reduce the motor pulley. If it is an inverter/vector type motor I run them to around 120 Hz which requires a motor pulley reduction.

Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A��2�FAA, 5 HP, 2��-24�V, VFD

Back