What's new
What's new

Replacing the FWD/REV switch in my 1988 Hafco lathe: Wiring ..... HELP!

OzzyGreg

Plastic
Hi guys,

Totally a silly mistake I know, but I got distracted while using the automatic feed on my lathe and the apron's partially crushed the existing FWD/REV switch. I have to replace it.

The wiring has me very confused. The closest switch to the original one I could find isn't exactly the same.

I'm not good with wiring diagrams and if I could work out what each wire is for I might be half way there at least.

FWD-REV switch 1.jpg
FWD-REV switch 2.jpg
FWD-REV switch 3.jpg
FWD-REV switch 4.jpg

Attachments

• Hafco wiring 2.jpg
    Hafco wiring 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Hafco-wiring-2.jpg

The previous owner had an extra on/off switch installed (not sure why). He drew the extra diagram on the page.
Hafco-wiring-1.jpg

Extra lines drawn in by someone else .....

KEDU ZH-HC-3  Schematic.jpg

Attachments

• Hafco-wiring-2.jpg
    Hafco-wiring-2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 337
  • Hafco-wiring-1.jpg
    Hafco-wiring-1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 152
Looking closely. The wire marked S will go to S and same for R. The wire marked U will go to U and V will go to V. The wire marked 1 will go to the 5 terminal and 6 is left with nothing in it. If the forward/reverse aren't in the positions you want on the switch simply reverse the wires between U and V terminals.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Looking closely. The wire marked S will go to S and same for R. The wire marked U will go to U and V will go to V. The wire marked 1 will go to the 5 terminal and 6 is left with nothing in it. If the forward/reverse aren't in the positions you want on the switch simply reverse the wires between U and V terminals.

Thanks PTSCummins!
Much appreciated!

Just one question PTSCummins:

The yellow wire? It must be an earth wire I guess.
Where does that one go?

I believe it's an earth ground. I didn't see a terminal on that switch that you're replacing it with, so I would ground it to the machine somewhere.

The new switch is all plastic, the old one metal hence the ground. Otherwise if the switch had shorted to line and you touched it, you would be the ground.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Back