What's new
What's new

reverse switch wiring

mechdraw69

Plastic
Hi All,
I hope to get some help wiring in a 240 Volt motor for my lathe. It has a drum type switch.
I have added some photos of the switch and motor wiring.
Photo 0872 shows small Diam. wires red and black, these are 240 volt power in.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Attachments

• IMAG0870.jpg
    IMAG0870.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMAG0872.jpg
    IMAG0872.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 363
Hi All,
I hope to get some help wiring in a 240 Volt motor for my lathe. It has a drum type switch.
I have added some photos of the switch and motor wiring.
Photo 0872 shows small Diam. wires red and black, these are 240 volt power in.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Leave Protective Earth and any Neutral (Wye supply connection?) TF alone.

Swap any other two - the power leads - to change direction.

Nature of the beast, 3-Phase motors.

If you are trying to adapt that 3-P - capable drum switch to a 1-P motor?

Take two aspirin, wrestle a 'roo in the morning, show us the motor info and the wires it presents to the outside world. Switch is the easy part.

Leave Protective Earth and any Neutral (Wye supply connection?) TF alone.

Swap any other two - the power leads - to change direction.

Nature of the beast, 3-Phase motors.

If you are trying to adapt that 3-P - capable drum switch to a 1-P motor?

Take two aspirin, wrestle a 'roo in the morning, show us the motor info and the wires it presents to the outside world. Switch is the easy part.

Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
The photo on the left shows the motor wiring, will that do or do you require other?
Phil

Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
The photo on the left shows the motor wiring, will that do or do you require other?
Phil

To someone with the motor data sheet, a nameplate schematic, or prior hands-on with that make of motor or even Aussie-market motors in general, almost certainly enough.

As Oz doesn't even use the same wire colour codes as USA, and Hong Kong "solved" their mongrelized imported sources by adopting three CONFLICTING colour codes as standards to avoid accusations of bias? I'd have to get back of that plate with at least a meter.

Good news is it may at least BE set up for reversing. Not all 1-P motors are, hence helpful if the data plate were published here.

Not-so-good news, and hopefully NOT a problem for you is that some of the 1-P motors I have had to reverse needed more than three switchable contacts to make it work, AND meet the need of disconnecting BOTH 230 VAC feeds.

Your 3-P / dual-use switch seems to display only three contact sets. It may have the "contact forms" of a simpler "disconnect" switch, 3PST. Drum switches for machine-tools usually have more complex contact forms, DT - Double Throw, or even 3T or DT 3 pos, centre OFF, and often at least one more set of contacts.

Meanwhile, MOST 1-P motors do not inherently care which direction they run. They ignore wiring reversal on-the-fly.

One has to start them in a given direction, they follow suit. Bring to a full stop, start them the other way, same again.

That can involve two wires for the starting arrangement, one DPDT or DPDT center OFF switch. Two more poles are needed to interrupt the mains power, both legs, not just the one.

Jurisdictions such as UK or Hong Kong where human life was traditionally cheaper than Copper for wire or Iron for centre-tapped transformers, 230 VAC may have one side Earthed, and you'll only have to switch the one mains lead. Their country, their priorities. Even the over-crowded Japanese were wiser. Go figure.

Patience. We have several members downunder. One might recognize your motor and be able to nail it in one go.

Hi,
I hope this is what you are after, it is the motor terminal box cover.
Regards
PhilIMAG0874.jpgIMAG0874.jpg
The motor is reversable as per data tag.

Hi,
I hope this is what you are after, it is the motor terminal box cover.
Regards
PhilView attachment 219307View attachment 219307
The motor is reversable as per data tag.

PERFECT! Note the directional arrows?

Your switch has to do three things, then:

A) Disconnect mains power on AT LEAST L1 in a (centered) OFF position.

B) Duplicate both of the "straps" show as doubled lines for each of FWD and REV

EG: Z2 to U2, U1 to V1 = clockwise

Z2 to U1, U2 to V1 = counterclockwise

C) At the same time:

L1 to U1 = clockwise

L1 to U2 = counterclockwise

Neutral stays attached to "Z2" at all times. That part need not be switched. Only the strapping FROM Z2 is moved.

The starter network connection remains on V1 at all times. It need not be switched.

We can depict the same thing grouped by direction. Soon.

Meanwhile, what info do you have about the switch?

Absolutely nothing except what the photo shows. If I need to I can purchase a different one if you can tell me what I need.

Regards

Absolutely nothing except what the photo shows. If I need to I can purchase a different one if you can tell me what I need.

Regards

IF it is what I think it is - a rated 3-P "transfer" switch (load A-OFF-B) also usable as a disconnect, it doesn't have the number and type of contacts need for a FWD-OFF-REV 1-P motor control switch AKA "drum" switch.

Its the reversing thing. That all-hands change-partners monkey-motion re-connection is needed simply so the "starting circuit" ends up working the opposite direction. It isn't set up to be moved. It sits still and everything ELSE moves to please it.

If you mentioned it, I missed it, so we need to know the rated HP of the motor and/or "FLA" Full Load Amps off the nameplate.

Approaching 2 AM local here, Old Fart needs a nap. Might be a while...

I'll get the details off the motor tomorrow, I'll let you have your beauty sleep!

Cheers

My age? Brother, my looks strike FEAR into the very bedclothes! Some as claim to know these things say I resemble God's older brother! Or was it the Devil's Grandpa?

Three things happen when you get old...

Lets see if you can "map" the contacts on that switch.

Got a meter? Or any sort of "continuity tester"? Bit of wire, bulb and battery from a flashlight, doorbell or Xmas tree light and low-voltage transformer for that, etc.

No point in risking rectumfrying yerself at full mains voltages!

Sorry about delay, funeral and computer issues, hope to contact a little later.
Also it maybe getting a bit complicated but i do have multi meters.
I'll get back a little later
Cheers

My age? Brother, my looks strike FEAR into the very bedclothes! Some as claim to know these things say I resemble God's older brother! Or was it the Devil's Grandpa?

Three things happen when you get old...

Lets see if you can "map" the contacts on that switch.

Got a meter? Or any sort of "continuity tester"? Bit of wire, bulb and battery from a flashlight, doorbell or Xmas tree light and low-voltage transformer for that, etc.

No point in risking rectumfrying yerself at full mains voltages!

Sorry about delay, funeral and computer issues, hope to contact a little later.
Also it maybe getting a bit complicated but i do have multi meters.
I'll get back a little later
Cheers

OK. Slim chance the switch you have is suitable, but it is cheap enough to check and be sure, one way or the other.

Meanwhile, in case I am struck by a garbage truck, a google on:

"reversing drum switch single phase motor"

Should turn up some possibles, plus - in the "images" - a collection of wiring schematics.

Hopefully - even with a bit of head-scratching or drawing sketches - one will match to what we pulled off the motor plate already.

if you tell me what type of switch would be best i will try to get one. I live a fair distance from towns and cities so it will take time to get one.
I would like to thank you for persevering with this problem of mine.
Regards

if you tell me what type of switch would be best i will try to get one. I live a fair distance from towns and cities so it will take time to get one.
I would like to thank you for persevering with this problem of mine.
Regards

We have its wiring info, but I do not yet even know the motor HP or Full Load amperage (FLA).

Recommending a drum switch is a bit premature unless I guessed grossly oversize and perhaps wasted a good deal of your money needlessly!

:D

The above 3 pictures details a switch I need to replace - any idea where I can get one?

Back