What's new
What's new

Reverse switch wiring help for newer motor on Logan lathe

jason lake

Plastic
Hello,
I recently purchased a Logan Lathe 922. I'm replacing the much needed Motor and wiring. The newer motor has 9 wires vs 4 on the original one.I've searched and searched the internet for a good example of my setup or combination of wires, but can't seem to find something close enough to what i have. It's just the stock setup, but I'd like to install an outlet too. The power would first go to the outlet, then on to the motor and switch. The extra outlet will be attached to the frame so I can plug in a light or fan. The outlet isn't important really, mostly figuring out which wires from the motor go where. Thanks in advance for taking a look.

switch wiring.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_2001.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg

Thanks
The outlet isn't important though. The extra outlet is just to plug in a light or fan. The wiring of the new motor to the switch, I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

buy a new squaure D or Dayton drumb switch specifically built for reversing a 9 lead single phase motor. then use there support/drawing to wire your machine.
Granger is a place to find what you need.

buy a new squaure D or Dayton drumb switch specifically built for reversing a 9 lead single phase motor. then use there support/drawing to wire your machine.
Granger is a place to find what you need.

I talked to Granger over the phone and they said that they didn't have anything specific for a 9 lead motor :/

I just love these wiring questions. You seem to have done better than most but still fell just a bit short of providing the information needed to provide an answer.

If you look at the photo of the wiring diagram on your motor, you will see that all the information is plain there EXCEPT the last line which tells you what to do to reverse the rotation. I am sure if you provide that information, then I/we can work out your wiring diagram.

To reverse direction switch the black and red leads. I shifted the box upward to fit better. The picture with the wires showing is set up the run clockwise. I'll get a better pic now. Thanks

I just love these wiring questions. You seem to have done better than most but still fell just a bit short of providing the information needed to provide an answer.

If you look at the photo of the wiring diagram on your motor, you will see that all the information is plain there EXCEPT the last line which tells you what to do to reverse the rotation. I am sure if you provide that information, then I/we can work out your wiring diagram.

IMG_2012.jpg

Better pic of the wiring diagram. Sorry for the sideways pic, It keeps uploading it like that.

I'm putting it on hold till Monday. An electrician that works at the University stopped by and said he'll get me all fixed up on Monday. I'll update with the solution we came to n such. Till then, fingers crossed

Here's your motor photo turned right side up.

I looked at it and came to the realization that there is no way to wire this motor with that drum switch for both Run-Stop and Forward-Reverse functions. You can do one or the other, but not both. If you use the drum switch, you will have to add a second switch. It is not the only way, but here is what I came up with:

I would be tempted to use a contactor with On and Off push buttons in place of the simple Run-Stop switch. In either case, be sure it can handle the current including the startup inrush which will be a lot more than the running current. Look for a switch or contactor that is rated for a motor of your size. A caution: if you use this circuit, it is not a good idea to have the power turned on (Run) with the drum switch in the center or OFF position. That would mean that some of the coils in the motor would be activated but the one on the red and black leads would not be. So the motor may not run and just heat up. Or even if it does run, it may overheat and burn up. I would not do it this way.

As I said, other arrangements are possible. Reversing needs a double pole, double throw switch (DPDT) and the drum switch can do that. It can also do the Run-Stop function. So as an alternative, you could add a second switch for the reversal and use the drum switch for Run-Stop. It may even be possible to add a relay or two and, with those relays, have the drum switch do both.

Probably the best way would be to start from scratch with a contactor for Run-Stop and an additional relay to handle the Forward-Reverse. That way it would be all push button operation.

Diagram, Reversing Drum Switch For 9 Lead Single Phase Dual Voltage Marathon Motor

Here's a sketch of your wiring hookup. Shown for 120V input.

The thing different with this one being 9 lead, is that the all the thermal protector wires are brought out to the terminal box. Most manufacturers splice the P3 to T1 connection internal to the motor case.

Wire identification on the left side is for your particular motor. On the right side is the standard NEMA configuration for others future reference.

Add your outlet before the drum switch input as required. Attach a copy to your machine for future reference, and save some head scratching next time...

SAF Ω

120VMarathonFurnaceReversing.jpg

It work flawlessly! Such a relief. It's my first lathe and now I can start learning how to work with it, while restoring it too. Thanks a bunch!

IMG_2013.jpgIMG_2015.jpg

Back