What's new
What's new

reversing direction on Wagner 220V 1 Ø

indychuck

Aluminum
Hello, any thoughts on how to change shaft direction on my Wagner repulsion induction 2HP motor?

Reversing polarity on the legs have no effect.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

I think you would rotate the brushes by 90 degrees, so that the top two were connected and the bottom two, rather than left & right.

Unfortunately, the brushes can't be rotated.

The groove at the bottom, where the arrow is pointing has to stay in this position for the fixed piece in the bell to fit thru.

IMG_1032a.jpg

Hmm. The end bell seems to be attached with four fasteners. Not sure if this repulsion start motor wants the brushes to shift 90, but that would do it.

With it assembled there should be a couple witness marks. Loosen the appropriate screws, turn to the other mark, tighten screws and it should run the opposite direction.
22713896133b56f08d4efb49823eec54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One does not shift the brushes 90 degrees. One shifts the brushes more like 15-20 degrees from one factory witness mark to the other. Failing that, shift the brushes until you find the sweet spot with maximum starting torque in the opposite direction.

If the brushes cannot be shifted then the motor cannot be reversed*... simple as that.

(*Unless it is an instant-reversing type repulsion start motor. Rare.)

A Wagner RI start motor with brushes shiftable for reversing, note the witness marks and note that there's a 'hatchway' to access them:

wagner2.jpg

so try resetting [by removing and reinstalling] the two sets of wired together brushes so there 90 degrees apart [instead of the brush jumpers being left right they would be top bottom

Back