What's new
What's new

Right way to connect #2 and #6 in line?

Mud

Diamond
I currently have a transformer supplied with 240 and feeding a machine with 480. AWG 2 input, AWG 6 output. I'd like to take the transformer out of the circuit and have 240 coming out of the #6 cable. I don't want to undo all the conduit and disconnect and etc, I just want to connect the 2 cables and leave the transformer mounted up on the wall where it is in case it's needed later, without it drawing any current now,

What's an NEC compliant way to connect the wires? I've seen this done with lugs and huge gobs of tape, is there a nicer way?

Google "Insulated Mechanical Lug". These are available from Ilsco, Burndy, and others. They will accept a wide range of wire sizes in each "port". For example, #14 - 1/0 would probably work well. Since these are insulated, you avoid the "huge gobs of tape". Electricians around here often refer to these as polaris lugs.

Here's a Burndy link...

Insulated Mechanical | Mechanical Connectors and Terminals | Electrical & Electronic | Products | Burndy

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, so can't speak with authority regarding the code-worthiness of this.

Right way to connect #2 and #6 in line?

The right way would be to run your #2 to a small 3Φ loadcenter, then provide the proper breaker to feed your #6 and one to feed your transformer when needed. It won't cost much more for the materials to do it right, than the insulated mechanical connectors.

3Φ Loadcenter

60A 3Pole Breaker

If you want to keep it simple and unprotected, and a pain to switch over, look here.

Manufacturer of Aluminum and Copper set screw connectors for the Utility, OEM, and Contractor and Industrial Markets

Insulated Mechanical

SAF Ω

Thanks. I already had a 60A breaker ready to install. I'm looking through my stuff for a 60A disconnect to install at the transformer location, I can see that would be better. The machine on the end will have 60A fuses at the line connection/disconnect switch. The #2 wire is THHN, the #6 is S cord.

Why are 60A fuses and breakers OK on #6 wire, when the ampacity of #6 is listed on most charts that I've found at 55A?

Thanks. I already had a 60A breaker ready to install. I'm looking through my stuff for a 60A disconnect to install at the transformer location, I can see that would be better. The machine on the end will have 60A fuses at the line connection/disconnect switch. The #2 wire is THHN, the #6 is S cord.

Why are 60A fuses and breakers OK on #6 wire, when the ampacity of #6 is listed on most charts that I've found at 55A?

The answer depends on the installed conditions and wire type. Circuits of less than 100A are to use the 75C temp column, unless all connections are approved for a higher temperature.

Table for building wire.
Table 310.15.jpg

Table for Cords.
NEC 410.5.jpg

SAF Ω

Back