What's new
What's new

Risks of buying a used Phase Perfect?

Trboatworks

Diamond
A seller who had listed a PT335 on PM a while back has now listed the unit on EBay-
Turns out he has a pt330 (he was confused?), in any case-
White unit, he states six years old, only driven on Sunday (once...), and importantly- ships from Canada (can we trust those bastards??).

What is the group consensus-
Worth toying with a out of warranty unit on used market or just call the maker and have them ship?

I am leaning towards just buying new unless the price is well below 2k on used.

How is support need and availability on these if purchased used?
Experiencess?

A seller who had listed a PT335 on PM a while back has now listed the unit on EBay-
Turns out he has a pt330 (he was confused?), in any case-
White unit, he states six years old, only driven on Sunday (once...), and importantly- ships from Canada (can we trust those bastards??).

What is the group consensus-
Worth toying with a out of warranty unit on used market or just call the maker and have them ship?

I am leaning towards just buying new unless the price is well below 2k on used.

How is support need and availability on these if purchased used?
Experiencess?

I am far from an expert on the topic but it is my understanding that the support for the white units in there......for how long? Who knows? I have been playing around with repairing blue ones and I can tell you I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for a working blue unit as it may last 10 more years or it may last 10 minutes, and at this point they should be treated as a disposable item. A broken blue unit may be repaired with a $100 IGBT and gate driver or it could be beyond economical diagnosis and repair. Phase Industries seems to have a history of announcing discontinuing support a couple years ahead of time so it would be a safe assumption that if you will have a few year return on investment you will turn out even or likely ahead of the game.

This is my opinion on the topic and should be taken as such......an opinion.

Back