What's new
What's new

Rockwell 14” bandsaw bad motor?

Musky_Hunter

Plastic
Picked up a Rockwell bandsaw off the market place. Seems to work okay in the wood speed. Swapped the belt over and engaged the gear reduction for cutting metal. When I turn it on it hums. If I give it a little help it will start running. Does cut a little but the blade is very slow and doesn’t seem to have much power. Does this sound like a bad motor?

If it runs fine at faster speed then I would check out that gearbox. Going through the gearbox should give the wheels more power, not less. Sounds like you might have a problem in there. Turn it over by hand without any belts and see how it feels. Should turn nice and easy.

Ted

Single phase 110. Spins over easy with the belt off at the heat box pulley. It could be the gear box needs fresh oil or a good cleaning.

Single phase 110. Spins over easy with the belt off at the heat box pulley. It could be the gear box needs fresh oil or a good cleaning.

I doubt fresh oil is going to help much. If it's been run low on oil you may very well have a bad bearing(s) or worm or worm wheel. Bearings are usually fairly easy and inexpensive to find and replace. Gearing not so much... Good luck.

Ted

Go over to VintageMachinery.org and grab the files on this (Delta metalcutting bandsaw). Lots of documentation, including drawings and parts breakouts. That should help diagnose the gearbox. Ebay seller a few months ago had both complete gearbox and parts; might still be available.

Picked up a Rockwell bandsaw off the market place. Seems to work okay in the wood speed. Swapped the belt over and engaged the gear reduction for cutting metal. When I turn it on it hums. If I give it a little help it will start running. Does cut a little but the blade is very slow and doesn’t seem to have much power. Does this sound like a bad motor?

sounds like weak capacitors

Back