What's new
What's new

rotary 3 phase converter

jim patelli

Plastic
I have a 3 horse air compressor, 3 phase and I just got a 3 horse rotary converter.I dont have directions with it and all I see is 3 wires coming out of the converter.
What do I hook it up to and how do i hook it up to the air comp. motor?

Jim,
The 3 wires from the converter should go to the motor. The motor may be dual voltage so it would need to be wired 240 volt before started. There can be many wiring combinations. If you are not sure how to hook these up, take it to a motor shop or maybe post more info.
I believe a word of caution is in order here. Phase converters should be hooked to machines needing constant voltage, lathes, mills and so on. Air compressors start and stop alot. This can be hard on some types of converters and can cause problems.
I hope this will help some.

A three phase motor develops about 70% rated power on a home brew ideler motor phase converter. 80% rated power on a typical rotary phase converter with run caps and about 92 to 95% on the best factory built wound for the service rotary phase converter.

Air compressors if tuned right start at 80%+ motor load and run to full load (and then some) when pumping towards cut-off. You can always lower the cut-out pressure to under-load the motor so it will safely work with your phase converter.

If your wish to run yous compressor to full motor ratings I strongly suggest you acquire a single phase motor for the purpose.

Back