What's new
What's new

rotary phase converter

mike thomas

Aluminum
I checked out three Westinghouse 3 phase motors today. Each was 35Kohm per leg to the housing. I am not sure if this is normal for a Westinghouse, or if it may be due to them having been stored outside. All looked good with no rust, but I wonder about the effects of the humidity on the insulation. I pitched one behind the heater, but will need to wait and see if the leg to housing resistance changes. Anyone have experience with Westinghouse motors that could tell me if this is normal? Thanks, Mike

I figured as much. Motor's are best checked with a megger - essentially an old time telephone magneto (or solid state equivalent)with a meter. It applies about 1500 volts between the windings and the stator and reads the insulation resistance in megohms.

Old motors that have spent time in the weather will often read no good only to dry out to read 500 megohms or better.

Why didn't I think of that. One thing I got is meggers. 'bout 5 different kinds. I do soil resistivity testing, and isulation leakage testing. Just never thought to hit it with high voltage. Anyways, the thing is cranking out 3 phase. Mike

Back