What's new
What's new

rotary phase converter for cnc lathe

what is the best setup for operating a 3phase cnc lathe on single phase, I've been looking at american rotary phase converters

You don’t mention lathe model, voltage or power requirements of the lathe, or details of your single phase service...

You don’t mention lathe model, voltage or power requirements of the lathe, or details of your single phase service...

I guess I was asking in general if some rotary phase converters were better than others , I realize the voltage across the legs should be within 2-4% for best results.

The lathe is a clausing metosa with fagor 800T controls it requires 460V 30amp 3 phase , my shop has single phase 240v and 400amps, the lathe has a transformer to step up from 220v to 460V I believe .

Judging by your user name I think you may know a lot more about this lathe and how to properly power it up than me :) any advice is greatly apreciated

Just wire the cnc micro processor to the pass thru phases. Use the generated phase for the motors only. Is there anything wrong with this logic??

Just wire the cnc micro processor to the pass thru phases. Use the generated phase for the motors only. Is there anything wrong with this logic??

Only if the generated leg drops enough to make the controller unhappy, either a voltage issue or a ripple issue. It tends to self limit on voltage, since if it drops too much it cannot charge so the voltage may "follow it down" a bit, leading to a higher ripple voltage and maybe a fault-out.

I would NOT depend on capacitors to hold up the voltage, though, better to use an autotransformer, which will limit the high side variation effectively, by a known amount (the boost voltage).

The only trouble is with homemade phase converters with unswitched pass through legs. That would allow the motors to attempt to start on single phase.

The proper approach is a contactor in the phase converter cutting all power until the third leg is stable.

Back