What's new
What's new

RPC Panel -- Which manufacturer?

Grenade

Plastic
I'm in the process of getting a CNC knee mill up and running and I'm in need of a RPC. I just picked up a used 10hp 3ph motor to use as an idler and need to buy a RPC Panel to compliment it.

Is there a consensus on who is the best manufacturer of phase converters/panels? I realize they're pretty simple but I don't want to throw money away on something cobbled together. I'm willing to pay a little more for good support and a quality product.

Just got a quote from them. ~$400 + shipping.

Also looking at North American Phase Converters, Phoenix Phase Converters, American Rotary, and Phase Converter USA. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

I recently built an RPC, using a used 10 hp motor, and a panel from American Rotary. It seems to work perfectly, although it only has a few hours on it. For some reason, it was a bit cheaper on ebay than from their website, even though they were the vendor on ebay. It's a nice clean unit, well laid-out. The instructions are clear. They use a DIN rail to mount some of the components, and there was enough room for me to mount a DIN-rail mounted circuit breaker, keeping everything inside the one panel. I found the DIN breaker on ebay, and it was whole lot cheaper than buying a separate 3 ph panel and breaker.

I have several 3 ph machines- a B'Port mill, a surface grinder, and a 12" pedestal grinder. I like being able to instant reverse the mill when tapping, something the VFD I tried wouldn't do very well.

The only thing I don't like (and I'm really nit-picking) is the depth of the cabinet. I would have loved something that would fit into the wall like a breaker panel, but with all of the huge capacitors, that's not possible. I recessed it about 2", which is the deepest I could go and still put the screws in the cover, but that still left the wires coming in and out of the unit proud of the wall a bit. My 3 ph output is run through the wall (Romex) to a couple ceiling drops with twist-lock plugs. I think most people just run a cord out to the machine. If you're just going to run the one machine, mount your RPC near it.

Back