RPC- Ready made, panel, or kit? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Visit a motor repair store. I got my 15HP monster for something like $150. Make sure you buy low RPM one: they're MUCH less noisy. Mine is like 1200 rpm, and I need to come closer to hear it's running (I put it indoors outside of the shop anyway).

And although I'm perfectly capable to build a panel, I chose to buy one. Sourcing of components and buying them from different sellers would be almost as expensive (if not more) or very bothersome and time consuming.

It was a small engineering NJ company I found on eBay. They made some no charge changes to their regular setup to better fit my particular motor (larger capacitors?). All I added to the panel later was an LED showing when the unit was ON (an RPC with a faster motor wouldn't need it unless I were deaf ).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need to get a motor pretty cheap to make it worth my while. I'd rather spend $800 on a brand new purpose-built RPC than piece one together for $600. If I can't get a motor for less than about $200, I'll just buy a complete unit. I'll call some motor places to see what they've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the the company I bought my RPC panel from: WNY Supply & Phase Converter Store :: Rotary Phase converter panel

P.S. Apparently, I made a mistake about their location. WNY Supply was not from NJ. They're in NY.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    And although I'm perfectly capable to build a panel, I chose to buy one. Sourcing of components and buying them from different sellers would be almost as expensive (if not more) or very bothersome and time consuming.
    More pressed for time, yet, I HAD all the components at least three times over from HVAC and "quiet elevator" experiments (DC Drive thing...).

Except a suitable enclosure.

With holes in all the right places.

Jim Gorman had done all that. Then improved on it. And more than once.

so.... I bought a last-revision "large box" Phase-Craft..... and put the time saved towards other forms of outright waste and general procrastination that was at least less boooooorrrring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Here is the the company I bought my RPC panel from: WNY Supply & Phase Converter Store :: Rotary Phase converter panel

P.S. Apparently, I made a mistake about their location. WNY Supply was not from NJ. They're in NY.
    I also bought a 10 HP panel from them, and it's been working flawlessly for about 4 years now. Mind you, I work as a hobbyist...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I need to get a motor pretty cheap to make it worth my while. I'd rather spend $800 on a brand new purpose-built RPC than piece one together for $600. If I can't get a motor for less than about $200, I'll just buy a complete unit. I'll call some motor places to see what they've got.
    Scrap yard will charge you between .30c and .60c per pound for a used motor, no guarantee it works, that is why you need to ohm windings to check it out. Avoid motors that were brought in individually (unless still new on factory pallet) as they tend to be pullouts with problems, look for whole machines with motors still attached, they tend to be good, but you still need to check windings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sachmanram and MichaelP:
    I am looking at panels offered by WNY Supply to go with a 15HP motor I picked up at the scrap yard today for $87. I see that WNY Supply sells a "Standard" panel and a "Gold" panel, which apparently has additional overload protection and has three banks of run capacitors.
    15Hp Gold series rotary phase converter control panel
    Did you get the "Standard" panel? I'm wondering if it is worth spending ~40% extra for the "Gold" panel. It might be overkill in my case for a 1980's era manual lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I already had the parts, w/o enclosure, including the motor.

Then I found a used good old RPC for cheap. Bought it, and wired it in, and it has been working ever since. I still have the parts, dunno what I;ll do with them. The machine is an Arco and it just plain works, and has done for 10 years. My input to it was tightening screws and some RTV to eliminate the rattles, plus a little static balancing of the rotor, which had had a fin broken off it, causing vibration.

The deal with a good factory RPC, especially older ones, is that the motors were made to be an RPC, so they tend to be lower impedance. You do not find that with stock factory motors, and it can make a difference in how the thing handles flipping the lever to reverse. In my case, I can "plug reverse" no issue, fast smooth reverse with no drama.

Mine also, because it was factory made for the purpose holds up voltage well, and has very few parts.

The kit units are probably OK, but build quality varies, and they tend to be made for a HP range, not for "that" motor. If you oversize enough, the difference is not much, that I will agree with. In your present case, a 10 HP idler would need only some method for starting it, it would not need any tuning, and tuning might be counterproductive.. If you connect a 5 HP motor, that might change.

The noce thing about used RPBs of good quality is that they are simple, the "special sauce" is usually in the motor, and motors are very long-lived if given half a chance to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4kinetic View Post
    Sachmanram and MichaelP:
    I am looking at panels offered by WNY Supply to go with a 15HP motor I picked up at the scrap yard today for $87. I see that WNY Supply sells a "Standard" panel and a "Gold" panel, which apparently has additional overload protection and has three banks of run capacitors.
    15Hp Gold series rotary phase converter control panel
    Did you get the "Standard" panel? I'm wondering if it is worth spending ~40% extra for the "Gold" panel. It might be overkill in my case for a 1980's era manual lathe.
    Kinetic,

I bought the Standard panel, and it works just fine...

Brian

10. Likes 4kinetic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is the Standard version too (I don't think they even had the Gold ones back then).

12. Likes 4kinetic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=MushCreek;3389750]How do you power tap with a VFD?

It can be done. Plug reversing motors on three phase power is one reason I do keep a rotary
    converter in use in my home shop.

However at work I have utility three phase available, how do I power tap? With a procunier
    tapping head on a drill press driven by a (single phase power driven) VFD.

Just sayin.