What's new
What's new

RPC safe/acceptable imbalances?

rpseguin

Stainless
The single phase leg to leg voltage at my panel is 246V.

I got my 25HP rotary phase converter (RPC) running. I have a 30KVA transformer hooked up to it to get 400V 3ph to drive my German CNC lathe. I want to use both the low voltage 230V side and the high voltage 400V side.
At my old place, I was getting about 415V leg to leg or so on the high voltage side. At my house, I’m getting about 430V-440V leg to leg on the HV side, without any load.

Now, on the low voltage side, I read 265V, 256V and 242V leg to leg, without any load.

265V and 256V seem a little on the high side for me.
I’m wondering what an acceptable voltage range would be that won’t hurt my machines (Mighty Comet VMC 10HP spindle, Webb/Whacheon WL-435 lathe 5HP spindle, Boyar-Schultz surface grinder, pedestal grinder, ...)

The US standards are +- 10% of nominal. Not sure what the German's use. I take it there are no taps on the transformer to adjust. Therefore, the best solution is to use buck/boost transformers to get where you want to go.

Tom

The US standards are +- 10% of nominal. Not sure what the German's use. I take it there are no taps on the transformer to adjust. Therefore, the best solution is to use buck/boost transformers to get where you want to go.

Tom

Thanks for your response!
The transformer does have taps, so I can adjust the high voltage side.
I guess I’m more concerned about the low voltage side.
I’m probably being a bit of a worry wort.

Now, on the low voltage side, I read 265V, 256V and 242V leg to leg, without any load.

With any load I get as high as 288Vac. But when the load starts the balance is within 2-3 Vac. That's what counts.

The single phase leg to leg voltage at my panel is 246V.

I got my 25HP rotary phase converter (RPC) running. I have a 30KVA transformer hooked up to it to get 400V 3ph to drive my German CNC lathe. I want to use both the low voltage 230V side and the high voltage 400V side.
At my old place, I was getting about 415V leg to leg or so on the high voltage side. At my house, I’m getting about 430V-440V leg to leg on the HV side, without any load.

I’m wondering what an acceptable voltage range would be that won’t hurt my machines (Mighty Comet VMC 10HP spindle, Webb/Whacheon WL-435 lathe 5HP spindle, Boyar-Schultz surface grinder, pedestal grinder, ...)

Resistive dummy loads are easy to hasty-rig as tests, but... won't "tell the truth" vs inductive/motor loads.

I'd use the 5 HP Wacheon as initial test load, set meters on all legs, it. Leave them there as you run some cuts, eyeball them whilst on power-feed..

It is almost certainly the ruggedest machine in your shortlist with enough draw to matter.

Balance the caps, and/or adjust the taps 'til it comes good, THEN try your CNC, also with meters in-place. Cheap ones will do, so long as they and their leads are good for it.

You aren't fussed over anything more "fine grained" than about +/- 5 Volts difference. steady running, light or heavy.

Might want to make sure nothing changes significantly if/as/when the load machine does something that presents a dramatic change. As CNC are wont to do - unless specifically commanded to tippy-toe about with extra stealth!

:)

Back