What's new
What's new

Running a 50hz universal motor on 60hz

Seijun

Plastic
Hello, I have registered here to ask a question about a sewing machine motor. I have an old sewing machine built in France in 1951. From what I understand, it has a universal-type motor. The motor is rated for 125v/35w/50hz outlets. Would it be safe to use this machine on an American 60hz outlet? I have found mixed answers online, including that it might not be safe for an induction motor, but that it would be safe for a universal motor.

Additionally, if it is safe to run, should I expect a 20% increase in motor speed, or will having a universal motor mitigate this effect?

Using a 50 Hz motor on 60 Hz is not a problem for the magnetics. For a squirrel cage motor the speed will increase by 6/5. Torque will decease by the same amount to produce constant horsepower.

The universal motors used on sewing machines are variable speed, usually controlled by a foot control. Based on that, there will be no problem.

Tom

Using a 50 Hz motor on 60 Hz is not a problem for the magnetics. For a squirrel cage motor the speed will increase by 6/5. Torque will decease by the same amount to produce constant horsepower.

The universal motors used on sewing machines are variable speed, usually controlled by a foot control. Based on that, there will be no problem.

Tom

On an induction motor, you are saying the speed would increase by 120%? I had thought it was 20%.

On an induction motor, you are saying the speed would increase by 120%? I had thought it was 20%.
It would be BY 20% or TO 120%. Semantics matter.

A Universal type motor converts the AC to DC (actually, it uses the DC component of the AC power), so speed is determined by the voltage, not the frequency.

This video is a little hard for me to watch because the guy talks so sloooooow, but he actually does a decent job of explaining it.
How a universal Motor Works - YouTube

It would be BY 20% or TO 120%. Semantics matter.

This video is a little hard for me to watch because the guy talks so sloooooow, but he actually does a decent job of explaining it.
How a universal Motor Works - YouTube

This is a good one to watch a 2x speed. Go to settings and change the speed to 2x. I almost always watch videos at 1.5 speed but 2x works good for the slow talkers. Of course music sounds best at normal speed.

Just so someone says it clearly.....

The universal motor will be OK with 60 Hz.

There MIGHT be a slight change due to the inductance of the motor having more effect at 60 Hz than the design frequency of 50, generally a reduction in torque, and the need to slow down more to carry a given load.

This is a good one to watch a 2x speed. Go to settings and change the speed to 2x. I almost always watch videos at 1.5 speed but 2x works good for the slow talkers. Of course music sounds best at normal speed.
Wow, thanks for that! I didn't even know that was possible. I found that 2x was a little hard to follow, but 1.5x sounded totally normal, as if this guy lives at 68% of normal speed so when you speed him up to 1.5x he sounds normal.

Back