What's new
What's new

Running Colchester Mascot 8 1/2" off 25KVA generator

jacob757

Plastic
I'm currently trying to run a Colchester Mascot 8 1/2" (1950s model) from a 25KVA 3ph Kubota Generator with a DSE interface.

My issue currently is that when switching the lathe to run, it trips the contactor/overload which I have wired between the lathe and the generator.

I have had a similar problem before when trying to run another machine (1CWT Massey Forging Hammer) where there's a large start up load. I solved this by putting a star/delta starter in front of it.
However this won't work for the lathe as it's a duel voltage motor, as well as it being started by a lever.

I did have the idea of replacing the contactor inside the lathe with a 3ph soft starter, but thought I would ask here before I take the plunge as it's about £250 for all the parts.

I've had the motor refurbished and checked for faults, as well as checking the other electronics on the lathe. Part of the issue I believe is that on the older models there isn't a clutch of sort, so the motor isn't already spinning when the chuck is engaged, as is the case with newer models.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Jacob.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-22 at 18.11.49.jpg

Back