What's new
What's new

Second motor setup on Hitachi WJ200

mikey553

Aluminum
I am trying to find a way to setup a high speed electric spindle on my Hitachi WJ200 VFD. That is in addition to a regular 3 HP motor on my mill. WJ200 allows you to setup parameters for 2 motors and then select whatever motor you want to run.

So here is my problem - I cannot find a way to select motor #1 or motor #2. It should be an easy way like setting an additional parameter. Can you help me?

You need to program one of the inputs (C001-C007) to "Set (select) 2nd Motor Data" Option code for that input is "08", so when that input is activated it selects 2nd motor data parameters. I have used this with 2 speed motors, it was interlocked so the motor parameters could only be switched with the motor stopped.

Let's say I choose the input terminal "2" and assign it an option code "08". Then if I connect the terminals "2" and "L" like on page 4-21 of the manual, the second motor parameters will be selected (sinking inputs). Can I use a jumper instead of a switch for a connection?

Do I have to do anything with function code C012, which controls the input terminal "2" active state? The default is 00, which is normally open (NO).

Sorry for asking these questions, but this manual is especially difficult for me to read and understand.

Let's say I choose the input terminal "2" and assign it an option code "08". Then if I connect the terminals "2" and "L" like on page 4-21 of the manual, the second motor parameters will be selected (sinking inputs). Can I use a jumper instead of a switch for a connection? You can use a jumper or a switch,but if it is something you will be doing regularly just get a small toggle switch. As the default, when the terminal is activated (switch is closed) it will select for the 2nd motor parameters

Do I have to do anything with function code C012, which controls the input terminal "2" active state? The default is 00, which is normally open (NO). No, leave it as the default of NO, so when it closes the command is activated

Most of the VFD manuals are a bit challenging, after you do a number of installs it becomes a bit more routine, but switching between different VFD manufactures can be sometimes challenging finding the correct parameters/functions

Well, I could not finish the programming yesterday.

My electric spindle has a 220 V, 2.2 kW, 400 Hz motor. My mill has a 220 V, 2.2 kW, 60 Hz motor. The parameters A44 and A244 are setup for a constant torque. Max frequency A004 is 60 Hz, A204 is 400 Hz. Base frequency A003 is 60 Hz. I was trying to make A203 the same as Max frequency for the second motor - 400 Hz, but this parameter refuses to go any higher than 60 Hz. I can make it lower, but what's the point.

Looking at the page 3-15 of the WJ200 manual (Basic Parameter Settings) one can see that base frequency determines the shape of the V/f curve. In other words the VFD will feed 100% voltage to the motor at base frequency. I am afraid the 400 Hz motor will not take this very well if base frequency is 60 Hz. I would like to have base frequency = Max frequency = 400 Hz. This way the motor voltage will rise proportionally with the frequency. For what it's worth I was able to setup the motor current overload B012 at 8.0 A, but now I see it should have been B212 parameter for the second motor.

Any word of wisdom?

You need to change the Frequency upper limit parameters first before you can change A004 and A204. So these would be A061 and A261. Alternatively you can set these to 0.00 which will deactivate these parameters and then the upper frequency is only set by A004 and A204. The base frequency is set by A003 and A203, but you must set A061 and A261 first if you want anything set above 60Hz. Typically the base frequency is not the same as the maximum frequency, so for a 60Hz motor you may have a maximum frequency of 90Hz if a newer motor, older motors probably stick with 75Hz.If the 400Hz motor is the base frequency then I would also use this as the maximum frequency. You cannot run a 400Hz base frequency motor using a 60Hz base frequency parameter.

Overload restriction is not the motor current, it is the maximum current allowed for up to 1 minute. The default value is 150% x the motor current. If the motor is older or you want to be conservative then use 120% or 1.2xmotor current in Amps so 8.0 x 1.2 = 9.6A. These would be for B022 and B222 relative to each motor's full load current. A note to individuals programming this parameter, as well as a few others the values are different based on programming from the VFD keypad vs. programming from a computer with the VFD software. So via the keypad this parameter shows up as Amps, via the computer it shows up as a % value which uses the kW setting x the % setting to calculate the amps. One is better off using the keypad for this parameter to set the actual overload amps, in particular if you have a highly efficient motor which may draw less amps than your typical motor of the same kW rating.

The motor rating (kW) is set by H003 and H203 (so these would be set to 07 (2.2), also make sure you have the correct number of poles set for each motor. H004 and H204. I would run autotune for each motor setting once everything is working correctly.

Before doing anything I have checked A061 and A261 settings, they were both at default setting 0.00. I could not set A261 above 60 Hz.

After playing with parameters for a long time I somehow was able to set A003 and A203 to 400 Hz. Not sure how I did that.
Next I set C001=08 and checked that c011=00. Then I verified there is a jumper between PLC and P24 terminals (sink logic)and put a jumper between L and 1 terminals. It looks like we are ready to go, right?

So I pushed the "Run" button and - nothing happened. I made several more attempts and finally gave up. I needed to test my new high speed spindle, so I re-programmed the drive for one motor and it surely worked like it should.

I did not give up for good however. Hitachi is a good name and I had this drive since new, so it has to be my mistake somewhere. I will try again in a few days. This time I will wire a switch instead of a jumper, who knows - it may make a difference.

You need to designated the source of the run commands which would be A001, A002, and A076. I typically do not run the VFD directly from the control panel, the WJ200 keypad is pretty poor. I typically use either 2 wire or 3 wire control and a remote speed pot. The motor 1 or 2 input only selects the parameter set to be used. You can try to setup the VFD with 2 wire control and use an external switch to trigger input 1 for forward, input 2 for reverse. You can program another input for the motor selection. You must select the run command source A002 and A202 = 01 as the input terminals in order to use a input to switch the motor parameters, but by doing so you inactivate the keypad run command so must use a programmed terminal input to issue the run command by using 2 wire or 3 wire control.

Also to get too a number of the WJ200 parameters you must first unlock the keypad.

1. Change B037 to "00" for full display of all functions. You must press both the up and down arrows to access single-digit edit mode since this feature is not accessible in the default basic display. You must change B037 before you can change B031.
AND THEN
2. Change B031 to "10". This unlocks all the high level program functions for editing. Then make the following program changes that are highlighted.

I would set A001 and A201 = 01 (Control terminal) if using an external speed pot
I would set A002 and A202 = 01 (Control terminal) if you want to use the control inputs as the command source
I would set A076 = 01 ([O] terminal (voltage in)) if using an external pot connected to the H, O and L input terminals.
I would set C001 = 00 (FW:FORWARD Run/Stop)
I would set C002 = 01 (RV:Reverse Run/Stop)
I would set C003 = 08 Set (select) 2nd Motor Data

Connect a switch from input 1 to L to run forward, input 2 to run in reverse, input 3 to select motor 2 parameters. Get an inexpensive 1 or 2K speed pot for speed control connected to the H, O and L inputs.

I have a full parameter file for the WJ200 for a 3Hp mill, but this site download capacity is so small that it is next to worthless to attach a file. Basic schematic attached, you can use sink or source connections, my default is to use source because I use logic diodes in some of my designs.

Attachments

• 2 wire control.jpg
    2 wire control.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 471

Back