What's new
What's new

Shavings near motor on Atlas Clausing 4800 lathe

mikeyjones

Aluminum
Hey PM -

I'm having an issue with my lathe and I need your help in figuring it out.

I noticed after I replaced the spindle bearings and belt on my lathe (and therefore had to take apart the spindle and countershaft) that there are brass-like shavings flying off the back of the lathe.

A bit concerning, for one, that it's right on top of the motor.

My uneducated guess is that it's the brake rubbing but I can't seem to dial it in.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

21-06-02 22-00-54 1961.jpg

21-06-02 22-00-58 1962.jpg

That old open frame motor is unsuited to the application. It looks like something salvaged from a washing machine. In that position, near flying chips, an enclosed fan-cooled or even an open drip-proof motor would be much more suitable.

While you are motor shopping, look for a bargain priced 220/240 V three phase motor and a suitable size VFD that has a 110/120 V input and 220 V three phase output. I have found very good deals on eBay.

Larry

That old open frame motor is unsuited to the application. It looks like something salvaged from a washing machine. In that position, near flying chips, an enclosed fan-cooled or even an open drip-proof motor would be much more suitable.

While you are motor shopping, look for a bargain priced 220/240 V three phase motor and a suitable size VFD that has a 110/120 V input and 220 V three phase output. I have found very good deals on eBay.

Larry

Yeah switching over to a VFD for this machine is on my to-do list. However, this machine has been running like this for decades (previous owner had the same motor since the 70s). I already have a 1hp 110in/220out VFD sitting idle, waiting for a home.

That said, I want to figure out what's causing the shavings first.

If you are dead set on keeping that motor, at least put some open cell foam over the vents.

Far from deadset, just need to find time to look for a new motor. Already have the VFD.

I just want to figure out what's causing the shavings first.

I adjusted the clutch and oiled the countershaft today by removing the set screw and spurting a bit of oil in the hole. Might have reduced the shaving a bit, have to do more testing.

The far-easters, in their infinte wisdom, put an open ended fan cooled motor on my unmentionable brand 9x20. The fan slots set almost exactly in line with the chuck on the back side. After taking it apart a few times to get chips out, I got a metal coffee can, punched a bunch of 1/4" holes in the bottom and stretched a band of innertube over it and the motor to form a sort of dust collector. Solved the problem.

The far-easters, in their infinte wisdom, put an open ended fan cooled motor on my unmentionable brand 9x20. The fan slots set almost exactly in line with the chuck on the back side. After taking it apart a few times to get chips out, I got a metal coffee can, punched a bunch of 1/4" holes in the bottom and stretched a band of innertube over it and the motor to form a sort of dust collector. Solved the problem.

So to appease the masses, I've ordered a new motor for this thing. I have a 1.5hp 3600 RPM motor coming.

It'll do a few things for me:
1) get rid of the stupid bussman fuses in the current power switch
2) give me speed control w/ a VFD
3) it's a closed top so no more chips getting in

As a follow up. I oiled up the clutch expander, tightened the clutch plates a bit, and oiled the countershaft itself.

Seems to be working well now, also got rid of my other issue of the clutch slipping out and me needing to constantly hold it with one hand.

I have a new motor and VFD sitting ready to go. I'll probably do that in the next few weeks.

Did you figure out where the brass/bronze chips were coming from? That would be priority on my list.

Current working theory is it was the clutch. The bulk of the shavings and dust was in the vicinity and after oiling it up and tightening, it's all disappeared.

Larry

Solution: Cardboard.

Back