Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Single phase 240 to three phase 480

What is/are the preferred method(s) of getting three phase 480V from a single phase 120/240 service? The 480 load is roughly 3A.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are probably several ways but the way that I'd do it is with a rotary phase converter and a transformer. You can use a transformer that is normally used to take 480 down to 240 and input the phase converter into the 240 tap of the transformer and get 480 out. Or so I've been told. I run a bunch of three phase machines on a RPC but the only thing that I have that can't be wired to run on 240 three phase is a blade welder on a band saw and it isn't worth the trouble when I have a shop close by that will weld blades for $5.00 each.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    There are probably several ways but the way that I'd do it is with a rotary phase converter and a transformer. You can use a transformer that is normally used to take 480 down to 240 and input the phase converter into the 240 tap of the transformer and get 480 out. Or so I've been told. I run a bunch of three phase machines on a RPC but the only thing that I have that can't be wired to run on 240 three phase is a blade welder on a band saw and it isn't worth the trouble when I have a shop close by that will weld blades for $5.00 each.
    Ok, so what size rotary phase converter would I need? We have a 15Kva transformer made to step 480 to 240. Does the RPC have to match kva with the transformer?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk