What's new
What's new

Single phase REVERSING Carbide tool grinder half hp WIRING CONNECTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
I disconnected the wires on this very smooth running...( well it was very smooth ) This 115 V single phase Half horsepower ,Harbor Freight, precision Carbide tool grinder, with one capacitor..... to modify the base ...and ah duh
can' remember the connections.

coming from out of motor:allfemale spade connections
2 white
1 black ...that splits into two female spade
1 blue
1 red

the reversing switch, I verified with ohm-meter to be DPDT has six male spade connection points

The capacitor has two emale connectors, one of which I DID MARK it.......... goes to one of the whtes coming out of the motor

The incoming line one black one white both female spade

Summary
6 female spades from motor
2 female spades on incoming 120V line

6 male spades on the DPDT "fwd off rev" switch
2 female spades on the capacitor , one of which is correctly hooked to one of the motor whites

Thanks for any helps or pointers to any diagrams of previous discussion along this line....

Dave

The wheels are screwed on with flat head cap screws on a Baldor tilt table grinder. IM not sure on a HF. The old Baldor I once had that was 120 v had a spring loaded piece of wood, you used to stop the motor. If you didn't let it stop close to stopping, reversing the switch would just keep it running the same direction. Rich

I have a tool grinder I bought from Hf about Six years ago, came with two green wheels and one coolant cup. If it's the same as yours I will check the wiring this wknd if you need verification. Just give me a heads up and I will get back to you....Hodge

It has the fwd-Off-rev switch in center as well.

Last edited:
The wheels are screwed on with flat head cap screws on a Baldor tilt table grinder. IM not sure on a HF. The old Baldor I once had that was 120 v had a spring loaded piece of wood, you used to stop the motor. If you didn't let it stop close to stopping, reversing the switch would just keep it running the same direction. Rich

I'm aware that the wheels themselves don't 'screw on' but the retention bolt or nut is usually directional, so reversing the machine will make the wheel try to unscrew it fastener.

Stuart

Hodge,

That would be wonderful if you could check yours, for the wiring hookup inside. Mine too has the fwd-off-rev switch in the middle.

Thanks

Dave Lawrence

I'm aware that the wheels themselves don't 'screw on' but the retention bolt or nut is usually directional, so reversing the machine will make the wheel try to unscrew it fastener.

Stuart

I agree with Richard and I have never had a Baldor wheel mount unscrew. Never tore one down to see how the hub was attached.. if the H F machine can do that it should not have a reversing switch IMHO.
At Cutmore Tool back in the 60s I would run single points to .003 and better on a Baldor double end carbide grinder.. that and cleaning the wash room and sloshing out the blanchards .. good old days for sure,.

But yes I guess the nut could back off if not tight. page 16 Baldor parts catalog.
http://www.baldor.com/mvc/DownloadCenter/Files/11G

Much as this is interesting, it's one of THOSE brands..... Must have snuck by originally. So..... you KNOW where this is going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back