What's new
What's new

Single Phase supply 230V>230V to 400V transformer> 480V VFD. What to beware of?

IanX

Aluminum
Years ago on PM I asked about powering 380/440V motors from a 230V single phase supply. Before I bothered to pick a solution my neighbour dangled the prospect of a 3 phase 400V supply from his barn which I accepted at the cost of 50 metres of 6mm2 direct burial cable that was not buried (I know:eek:). My neighbour is selling up so my 3 phase supply is going home taking me back to the need to make my own 3 phase.
A friend can get me a large discount on a 5kVA single phase step up trafo from Adajusa a Spanish industrial supplier, about £$€150 delivered to me. I see a Delta M series 7.5kW drive on the usual auction site, the seller will take £$€150 delivered so 300 for the two.
The Delta drive will run off single phase and note that the phase loss warning flags can be disabled.
I know this subject has been pretty well done to death here on PM but I would like to know if anyone knows the Delta M series and can spill any handy knowledge. What to do about setting the FLA for different spindle motors for instance?
I need to power a small selection of spindle, table and coolant motors over several machines. Three machines have dual or 3 speed motors (Kearns S type has a 3),there is no provision for 230V operation on the Kearns, a KEF POD10 pedestal grinder or an Arboga U2508 so full fat volts only.
I read the threads detailing driving ancient motors with drives and duly noted the fairly intense yes you can, no you cannot, yes but whatabout tennis arguments over this matter. There is no swapping the Arboga motor or the KEF, they are an integral part of the machine. The Kearns I could but it is a long and troubling road involving splitting the machine from its base so I can do without torching those motors.
So I keep the VFD supply leads to the motors short and avoid switching the spindle motor downstream of the VFD on the fly.
The maximum combined load for the largest single machine is about 3.5kW IIRC. I am el cheapo and want to supply the machines from a small wheeled cart and use plugged short leads on each machine. I have not yet worked out what solution for the machine control or for the business of the smaller coolant and table motors, perhaps another 0.75kW VFD if I can find one cheap.
I cannot justify a VFD for each machine, even using the pyrotechnic generic junk available from China the total cost would be high. Mine is not a production environment, this is sleepy hollow we are talking about.
There are issues surrounding ripple, motor protection for the table and coolant if I set the VFD for the spindle motor and keep those motors in the circuit.
What do I need to be careful of and how do I cheaply ameliorate any issues? Oh yes, the step up trafo is duty cycle S1.

could you do all that and have the vfd run a rpc ? i would think that would go a long way to stop this balances act with all the motors and just wire every thing up and rid yourself if this rolling plug and play stuff

Back